Mailing List Archive

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Re: [Bricolage-Commits] Moved my httpd.conf to httpd.conf.in to avoid accidental checkins.
On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 08:28, Mark Jaroski wrote:

<snip />

> This works pretty well for me now for updates:
>
> cvs -q up
> make
> sudo -s
> make install
>

> I haven't done this alot since switching to MakeMaker, so I
> don't know if it's as predictable, but I know that my
> Makefile only copies the minimum number of files to bring
> the installation up-to-date, and of course it preserves the
> configuration.

It should continue to work quite well with MakeMaker.

> I'd like it if you guys consider running this way to, so
> that the installer gets a better workout. Of course you
> don't have to. The reason I'm not overwriting
> bricolage.conf with make is the requirement that Bricolage
> should work right from a CVS checkout.

I tried it this week, and it did work fairly well, except for one thing:
it's a total PITA for development. If I change a library in my home
directory, and then make install it, and then kick the server, and then
the server doesn't work, I have to do the whole thing over again. If I'm
running Bricolage directly from a CVS checkout, I don't have to do all
the extra steps.

> So no, you don't need to change it, but you have the option
> now.

I might use this for minor changes (quick fixes), but not for
development.

Regards,

David

--
David Wheeler AIM: dwTheory
david@kineticode.com ICQ: 15726394

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Re: [Bricolage-Commits] Moved my httpd.conf to httpd.conf.in to avoid accidental checkins. [ In reply to ]

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Re: [Bricolage-Commits] Moved my httpd.conf to httpd.conf.in to avoid accidental checkins. [ In reply to ]
David Wheeler wrote:
> > So no, you don't need to change it, but you have the option
> > now.
>
> I might use this for minor changes (quick fixes), but not for
> development.

After doing some debugging this way, I totally agree. The
one remaining PITA thing is that changes to the config files
have to be made in two different places. (the
run-right-out-of-cvs version and the .tmp.in version). If
that's not too much trouble I think we can go with this.

Mark

Re: [Bricolage-Devel] Re: [Bricolage-Commits] Moved my httpd.conf to httpd.conf.in to avoid accidental checkins. [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2002-02-19 at 00:52, Mark Jaroski wrote:

> After doing some debugging this way, I totally agree. The
> one remaining PITA thing is that changes to the config files
> have to be made in two different places. (the
> run-right-out-of-cvs version and the .tmp.in version). If
> that's not too much trouble I think we can go with this.

This is a minor annoyance, but I think that as we go forward, there
should be fewer changes to these files.

David