Mailing List Archive

Slow mod_proxy response
Hi,

I hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having at work. We have a
Glassfish server running on SLES 11. I installed Apache2 with mod_proxy
so that users can use port 80 for redirection to the Glassfish service.
This is the setting of my server.

<VirtualHost INTERNAL_IPADDR:80>

ServerName server.com

RewriteEngine On

ProxyPreserveHost On

# If request is not for subdir ServicePortal, then redirect to
it

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/subdir/

RewriteRule / subdir/$1 [R=301,L]

# Turn off forward proxy and use reverse proxy

ProxyRequests Off

ProxyPass /subdir http://localhost:8080/subdir

ProxyPassReverse /subdir http://localhost:8080/subdir

</VirtualHost>

The server is hosted in the lab network and the INTERNAL_IPPDR is one of
the IP addresses on the server, say 172.29.31.10. There is a firewall in
the lab for outside connection into the lab and the natted IP address
is, say 10.109.32.10. From office LAN, users request for the webpages
using http://server.com, which has the address 10.109.32.10. For some
reason, we see slow response when accessing the server from the office
network and sometimes we get TCP timeout. The response from within the
lab however, is fast. Could anyone shed some lights? I have hostname
lookup turned off to eliminate DNS issues.

Thanks

Shirley

This email was sent to you by Thomson Reuters, the global news and information company. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Thomson Reuters.
Re: Slow mod_proxy response [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 11:17 AM, <Shirley.Ong@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

> The server is hosted in the lab network and the INTERNAL_IPPDR is one of the IP addresses on the server, say 172.29.31.10. There is a firewall in the lab for outside connection into the lab and the natted IP address is, say 10.109.32.10. From office LAN, users request for the webpages using http://server.com, which has the address 10.109.32.10. For some reason, we see slow response when accessing the server from the office network and sometimes we get TCP timeout. The response from within the lab however, is fast. Could anyone shed some lights? I have hostname lookup turned off to eliminate DNS issues.

To make sure I understood:
The server is on the LAB network with the IP 172.29.31.10. It is
running a service on port 8080 and HTTPD on 80.
You use NAT to access the server also using 10.109.32.10 on port 80.
You said that when you access 172.29.31.10:80 from in the lab network,
everything is fine.
When you access 10.109.32.10:80, there are TCP problems.

This sounds like a network problem, not an Apache problem.

- Y

RE: Slow mod_proxy response [ In reply to ]
I thought so too. However the response from the office network on port 8080 (Glassfish) is fast. So the slow response is only seen when accessing the page on port 80 (via mod_proxy) from the office network.

Thanks
Shirley