Warron French
Sr. Network Engineer
Xtria, LLC
RE: Limit POST, PUT methods [ In reply to ]
Warron:

Post in plain text please!

> Can anyone tell me where I would put a Limit directive?
>
> Do I put it into a .htaccess file in the root directory of the website,
> or do I place it in the httpd.conf file inside of a Directory directive
> statement?

You can put it in either place. See the docs:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limit.

~ Robert

RE: Limit POST, PUT methods [ In reply to ]
Robert, I read this article already.

So, I wonder if maybe you can give me a more clear instruction.

If I want to not allow users to use PUT or POST do I use Limit or LimitExcept, from what I can tell it looks like the book I am reading from ORA -- Apache the Definitive Guide is saying that access-control directives should NOT be placed within a <Limit> section but it doesn't exactly say to place them in a <LimitExcept> section either.

All I want to do is allow only GET for this website I am working on since it is a government server and I need to secure it.

Would I perhaps do:

<Limit GET>
Require valid-user
</Limit>

Or would I do:
<LimitExcept GET>
Require valid-user
</LimitExcept>

I just want to learn this and secure the website.

Warron French
Sr. Network Engineer
Xtria, LLC