P.S. How are the "official" win32 sources coming? Apache 2.2.0 has
been out for almost a month and a half and the only win32 source is
httpd-2.2.0-win32-src-rev2.zip.
Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Josh, glad you were successful. I agree that your message seems to indicate
a problem; did you copy the entire installed Apache2 directory?

If you have, what OS's are those two machines (the working and non-working
ones?) The newest 2.2 version now has absolute dependencies upon ldap.
Which flavor of visual studio did you use to build?

RE: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Yep, I copied every and modified the configuration files accordingly.
I have it working on the XP box that it was built on. It won't run on
different XP and 2003 boxes.
I compiled it with Visual Studio 2005. (That's what is recommended,
right?)
,
Josh.

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Build with VS 2005, see for deploying on other computers:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zebw5zk9(en-US,VS.80).aspx

Steffen

http://www.apachelounge.com

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Steffen wrote:
> Build with VS 2005, see for deploying on other computers:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zebw5zk9(en-US,VS.80).aspx

FYI, DEPENDS.EXE is a useful utility deployed with all flavors of VisualStudio,
which provides a graphical equivilant of Unix ldd. It will help you determine
all of the dll's which need to be moved to your bin/ directory of your dist.
RE: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I stumbled upon depends.exe this morning. I used it on the 2k3
box and found out that it couldn't find msjava.dll (Why is this needed
for Apache?) and msvcr80.dll. I copied them from the working XP box
into <apache_home>\bin. It found the dlls, but I still get the same
error.

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in
"c:\apache22\bin\HTTPD.EXE" contains errors. This application has
failed to start because the application configuration is
incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

I don't see any other obvious problems in the Dependency Walker. All
the dll's in the "Module In List", except the first 17, have little hour
glass icons next to them. I don't know if that is an issue or not.

I tried running depends.exe on the working box and I noticed the
following in the bottom.

Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

One thing I know is different between the XP boxes is that the working
(and build) XP box has SP2 and the nonworking one doesn't? Any
possibility that's an issue? Any other input would be welcome. Thanks.
,
Josh.

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Fenlason, Josh wrote:
> Yeah, I stumbled upon depends.exe this morning. I used it on the 2k3
> box and found out that it couldn't find msjava.dll (Why is this needed
> for Apache?) and msvcr80.dll. I copied them from the working XP box
> into <apache_home>\bin. It found the dlls, but I still get the same
> error.

Interesting. I would be especially interested in knowing which .dll then
requires msjava.dll? Follow the depends tree to let us know.

> Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in
> "c:\apache22\bin\HTTPD.EXE" contains errors. This application has
> failed to start because the application configuration is
> incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).

Apparently there might be some additional flags that have triggered creation
of some built-in manifest? Can you try skipping the gui and doing instead
an nmake -f makefile.win clean and nmake -f makefile.win installr ? This
won't introduce any new 'features' contained in VisualStudio 2005, which could
be introduced by converting the .dsp's into .vcproj's.

> I don't see any other obvious problems in the Dependency Walker. All
> the dll's in the "Module In List", except the first 17, have little hour
> glass icons next to them. I don't know if that is an issue or not.

Hour glass I presume is delay-load. You are looking for red icons in
the function or modules view, which indicate modules or entry points
which could not be resolved.

> I tried running depends.exe on the working box and I noticed the
> following in the bottom.
>
> Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a
> missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

This is normal. The kernel itself has some of these conditions.

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
msjava.dll is not needed. Apache 2.2 builds out of the box with Visual
Studio c++ 2005, no additional flags etc. needed.

Apache 2.2 depends on msvcr80.dll and his manifest/policy.

You have some options:

- install the .NET framework 2.0 on the target computer.

or

- if you do not want to install the .NET Framework,

run vcredist_x86.exe (included in VS 2005) on the target computer.

- Use the XCOPY method

All above is described in detail at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zebw5zk9(en-US,VS.80).aspx

I distribute Apache 2.2. at http://www.apachelounge.com/download and using
the XCOPY method

Steffen

http://www.sambarserver.info

RE: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Here is the path that requires msjava.dll:
Httpd.exe->libapr-1.dll->advapi32.dll->winsta.dll->netapi32.dll->dnsapi.
dll->iphlpapi.dll->mprapi.dll->activeds.dll->adsldpc.dll->credui.dll->sh
ell32.dll->shdocvw.dll->mshtml.dll->msjava.dll

I found a thread that seemed like it might be on the right track.
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=23261
I changed the manifest options mentioned here for the buildbin project,
but that didn't solve the dependency.
I tried building from the command line with nmake like you suggested,
but the build failed with the following error:

NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
'"..\apr\Release\libapr-1.lib"'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
'D:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftVisualStudio8\VC\bin\nmake.exe' : return
code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077:
'D:\ProgramFiles\MicrosoftVisualStudio8\VC\bin\nmake.exe' : return
code '0x2'
Stop.

Any idea what's wrong there?

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
You are not on the wright track by trying to solve the msjava.dll
dependency.

Just follow the instructions at:

Steffen

http://www.sambarserver.info

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Fenlason, Josh wrote:
> Yep, I copied every and modified the configuration files accordingly.
> I have it working on the XP box that it was built on. It won't run on
> different XP and 2003 boxes.
> I compiled it with Visual Studio 2005. (That's what is recommended,
> right?)

Your other boxes are likely to be missing the VS 2005 C runtime. This actually
becomes a user question (yes, users list is for help getting apache to build.)

In fact we are continuing on with Visual Studio 6, for the time being, so folks
can continue to use various things like the modperl etc built upon ActiveState.
Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Fenlason, Josh wrote:
> Here is the path that requires msjava.dll:
> Httpd.exe->libapr-1.dll->advapi32.dll->winsta.dll->netapi32.dll->dnsapi.
> dll->iphlpapi.dll->mprapi.dll->activeds.dll->adsldpc.dll->credui.dll->sh
> ell32.dll->shdocvw.dll->mshtml.dll->msjava.dll

When you see something nested from MS itself, it's safe to assume;

* the dependency is dynamic, and won't trigger a fault if not present

or

* the dependency is based on that OS's version of libname.dll, and the
dependency is not present on another version's.

MS "owns" this dependency; it's not your problem (nor ours).

> I tried building from the command line with nmake like you suggested,
> but the build failed with the following error:
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make
> '"..\apr\Release\libapr-1.lib"'
> Stop.

That's very odd; I'll research.
Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
> so folks can continue to use various things like the modperl etc built
> upon ActiveState

Using VC6 or VS2005, in both cases you have to rebuild mod_perl for 2.2.0

mod_perl builds out-of-box with VS2005 and is working fine with Apache
2.2.0/Activestate.

Till now I did not find any issue not to use VS2005 with Apache 2.2.0 and a
lot of third-party mods. I distribute it and is working on all current
windows versions.

Steffen

RE: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
I was finally able to get this working by following the instructions for
private assemblies in the link Steffen provided. I will just have to
ship the "Microsoft.VC80.CRT" directory from VS2005 with my binary. I
do have one question though. I have to drop the "Microsoft.VC80.CRT"
directory in <apache_home>\bin and <apache_home>\modules. Any idea why
I have to add it in both places? I even added Microsoft.VC80.CRT to the
path and it still had to be in both locations. I can live with this
since it's not too big, so I'm just curious. Thanks for all the help.
,
Josh.

Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> In fact we are continuing on with Visual Studio 6, for the time being,
> so folks
> can continue to use various things like the modperl etc built upon
> ActiveState.

Okay, that was not quite clear and is helpful to know. So you're saying
that if we build with the latest MS dev/net studio modules built with MS
VC++ 6 won't work?

It would be good for the overall Apache community to know what they
should build 2.2 with for maximum compatibility with non-open-source
modules built by others in the community. Another driver, of course, is
leveraging the best compiler/optimizer possible without sacrificing too
much compatibility.

What's the strategy here?

--
Jess Holle
Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
Jess Holle wrote:

> Okay, that was not quite clear and is helpful to know. So you're saying
> that if we build with the latest MS dev/net studio modules built with MS
> VC++ 6 won't work?

*potentially*. In practice they should interoperate. In fact mod_aspdotnet
already does, it's compiled under Studio .NET (now porting it to Studio 2005)
but runs under VC6-built Apache.

The basic issue is with handing off clib resources, e.g. malloc()ed memory,
FILE * handles (stdio style), etc. There is no issue with apr objects that
you don't diddle with, and no issues with native Win32 API objects that you
kick around.

In fact, it's the same set of issues you get into running a module compiled
in debug mode on a release build server, or visa versa.

> It would be good for the overall Apache community to know what they
> should build 2.2 with for maximum compatibility with non-open-source
> modules built by others in the community. Another driver, of course, is
> leveraging the best compiler/optimizer possible without sacrificing too
> much compatibility.
>
> What's the strategy here?

Bill
Re: Apache 2.2.0 on Win32 [ In reply to ]
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Fenlason, Josh wrote:
>
>> Here is the path that requires msjava.dll:
>> Httpd.exe->libapr-1.dll->advapi32.dll->winsta.dll->netapi32.dll->dnsapi.
>> dll->iphlpapi.dll->mprapi.dll->activeds.dll->adsldpc.dll->credui.dll->sh
>> ell32.dll->shdocvw.dll->mshtml.dll->msjava.dll
>

> When you see something nested from MS itself, it's safe to assume;
>
> * the dependency is dynamic, and won't trigger a fault if not present

That's correct. msjava.dll is delay-load and fired only if you
try to to use ShowHTMLDialog with html containing java applet.

Like bill said, completely safe with us :)

Regards,
Mladen.