Tonight, Egypt has ordered all operators to shut down their BGP
adjacencies with out of countries providers. This mean Egypt is
disconnected from the rest of the internet.

I am wondering, should we just close our site in support? That would
surely have a huge impact and show how much we care about free
information for everyone.

--
Ashar Voultoiz

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

When we close our site in support.. Than we don't support free information
for everyone.. Than we close the information down...

Best,

Huib

2011/1/28 Ashar Voultoiz <hashar+wmf@free.fr <hashar%2Bwmf@free.fr>>

> Hello,
>
> Tonight, Egypt has ordered all operators to shut down their BGP
> adjacencies with out of countries providers. This mean Egypt is
> disconnected from the rest of the internet.
>
> I am wondering, should we just close our site in support? That would
> surely have a huge impact and show how much we care about free
> information for everyone.
>

> --
> Ashar Voultoiz

Regards,
Huib "Abigor" Laurens

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 28 January 2011 08:25, Ashar Voultoiz <hashar+wmf@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tonight, Egypt has ordered all operators to shut down their BGP
> adjacencies with out of countries providers.  This mean Egypt is
> disconnected from the rest of the internet.
>
> I am wondering, should we just close our site in support? That would
> surely have a huge impact and show how much we care about free
> information for everyone.

The Wikimedia movement does not have and should not have a position on
the current situation in Egypt. While you view your suggestion as us
taking the side of free information, it would be perceived as taking
sides in the more general conflict that is going on, and we can't do
that.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 28 January 2011 12:24, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Wikimedia movement does not have and should not have a position on
> the current situation in Egypt. While you view your suggestion as us
> taking the side of free information, it would be perceived as taking
> sides in the more general conflict that is going on, and we can't do
> that.

Even then, I don't think there'd be a consensus to do so. e.g. the
Great Firewall of China - our response to that is to just keep doing
what we're doing, writing a neutral encyclopedia and keeping it
available.

The idea of getting samizdat copies of Wikipedia into Egypt appeals.
Airlift in current-article dumps of ar:wp and en:wp on SD cards by the
thousand?

- d.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
2011/1/28 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
> The idea of getting samizdat copies of Wikipedia into Egypt appeals.
> Airlift in current-article dumps of ar:wp and en:wp on SD cards by the
> thousand?

Don't forget arz.wikipedia. It's small, but shouldn't be ignored.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
"We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace." - T. Moore

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 28 January 2011 12:47, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
> 2011/1/28 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:

>> The idea of getting samizdat copies of Wikipedia into Egypt appeals.
>> Airlift in current-article dumps of ar:wp and en:wp on SD cards by the
>> thousand?

> Don't forget arz.wikipedia. It's small, but shouldn't be ignored.

The more the better!

I expect we don't actually have the money on hand to do this, it's
mostly just a pleasant thought :-) Though if someone just happens to
have thousands of SD cards and something to make HTML versions of
article dumps ...

- d.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:51 AM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 January 2011 12:47, Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni@mail.huji.ac.il> wrote:
>> 2011/1/28 David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com>:
>
>>> The idea of getting samizdat copies of Wikipedia into Egypt appeals.
>>> Airlift in current-article dumps of ar:wp and en:wp on SD cards by the
>>> thousand?
>
>> Don't forget arz.wikipedia. It's small, but shouldn't be ignored.
>

> The more the better!
>
> I expect we don't actually have the money on hand to do this, it's
> mostly just a pleasant thought :-) Though if someone just happens to
> have thousands of SD cards and something to make HTML versions of
> article dumps ...
>

> - d.

I appreciate the sentiments, but in the week that it would take to do
anything significant, this will be over one way or another.

Geopolitics is a nasty game; civil insurrection even nastier, as the
geneva conventions don't get applied. The guns are out (Egyptian army
deployed to back up the overwhelmed police); either they restore order
(by simply being there, a bit more teargas, or shooting people in
whatever quantities are needed to restore order) or there's going to
be a new government in Cairo shortly. Situations don't teeter this
close to the edge for long.

The worst thing the Foundation can do is attempt to intervene in a way
that gets other authoritarian regimes more likely to censor us, IMHO.
This is not a value judgement on supporting democracy in Egypt - it's
a realpolitik issue with the rest of the world we will continue to
have to deal with for the next few decades. That we wouldn't censor
coverage or information on an uprising or oppressive behavior doesn't
mean we should organizationally take a stand on an uprising or attempt
to get involved.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
We have fellow Wikimedians in Egypt. Any news about them?

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately all communications are down till now, I hope they are all
fine.
I'm currently out of the country and following only through TV and twitter.
We're all waiting for the internet or at lease cell networks to be back.
Thank you all for your comments, and yes I do not support shutting
down Wikimedia projects for any incidents of that kind. I think we should
work more on spreading free information

Mido

- Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/ "Share your knowledge"
Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Thank you for the update Mido. I certainly hope all our Wikimedian
colleagues are ok and would welcome any news if anyone has any. I know
we are all thinking about our friends as the situation in Egypt
progresses.

best,
phoebe

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Mohamed Ibrahim
<mido.architect@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately all communications are down till now, I hope they are all
> fine.
> I'm currently out of the country and following only through TV and twitter.
> We're all waiting for the internet or at lease cell networks to be back.
> Thank you all for your comments, and yes I do not support shutting
> down Wikimedia projects for any incidents of that kind. I think we should
> work more on spreading free information
>
> Mido
>

> On 28 January 2011 22:41, Milos Rancic <millosh@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We have fellow Wikimedians in Egypt. Any news about them?

> --
> - Arabic Wikipedia: http://ar.wikipedia.org/  "Share your knowledge"

<at> gmail.com *

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Relevant to Egypt and WMF, it is important that Al-Jazeera has
released a pile of photos and video as CC by-nd and CC-by-nc-nd:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/al_jazeera_releases_egypt_coverage_under_creative.php

Now, those aren't free content licenses. But for a news organisation
to release stuff under even such restrictive licenses as those is
*radical*.

Is there anyone who could ask someone at Al Jazeera about releasing
selected photos or clips as CC by-sa? Possible pitch: "Your images of
the event on Wikipedia! Representing it to the world!"

- d.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Relevant to Egypt and WMF, it is important that Al-Jazeera has
> released a pile of photos and video as CC by-nd and CC-by-nc-nd:
>

> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/al_jazeera_releases_egypt_coverage_under_creative.php
>
> Now, those aren't free content licenses. But for a news organisation
> to release stuff under even such restrictive licenses as those is
> *radical*.
>
> Is there anyone who could ask someone at Al Jazeera about releasing
> selected photos or clips as CC by-sa? Possible pitch: "Your images of
> the event on Wikipedia! Representing it to the world!"

Already have contacted them and they are willing to give us permission.

Right now, there are just some photos on Flickr (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aljazeeraenglish/) from earlier this week.
They will be posting more on http://cc.aljazeera.net and we just need to
select a few.

They will check that they were indeed taken by Al-Jazeera and not a
third-party.

Please come to the article talk page to make suggestions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:2011_Egyptian_protests#Al_Jazeera_photos

Cheers,
Katie (@aude)

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 28 January 2011 23:28, aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Relevant to Egypt and WMF, it is important that Al-Jazeera has
>> released a pile of photos and video as CC by-nd and CC-by-nc-nd:

> Already have contacted them and they are willing to give us permission.

:-D :-D :-D

This is BIG NEWS. A hearty HIP HIP HOORAY to everyone involved in this!

Now we need permission from a *second* network ...

- d.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 January 2011 23:28, aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:39 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Relevant to Egypt and WMF, it is important that Al-Jazeera has
> >> released a pile of photos and video as CC by-nd and CC-by-nc-nd:
>
> > Already have contacted them and they are willing to give us permission.
>

> :-D :-D :-D
>
> This is BIG NEWS. A hearty HIP HIP HOORAY to everyone involved in this!
>
> Now we need permission from a *second* network ...

They have posted one video now, and working on putting more up.

http://cc.aljazeera.net/asset/language/arabic/footage-egyptian-protests-al-jazeera-office

It's CC-BY licensed.

I'm pretty technical, but if someone better with video wants to help convert
it to ogg theora format and get it uploaded to Commons, that would be
awesome.

Cheers,
Katie

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
A wonderful precedent for other approaches to press agencies--it will
perhaps work best for those agencies that have an appropriate
special concern for the area or subject.

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:16 PM, aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Already have contacted them and they are willing to give us permission.
>>

>> :-D :-D :-D
>>
>> This is BIG NEWS. A hearty HIP HIP HOORAY to everyone involved in this!
>>
>> Now we need permission from a *second* network ...
>>

> They have posted one video now, and working on putting more up.
>
> http://cc.aljazeera.net/asset/language/arabic/footage-egyptian-protests-al-jazeera-office
>
> It's CC-BY licensed.
>
> I'm pretty technical, but if someone better with video wants to help convert
> it to ogg theora format and get it uploaded to Commons, that would be
> awesome.
>
> Cheers,
> Katie
>

>> - d.

David Goodman
DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 29 January 2011 00:16, aude <aude.wiki@gmail.com> wrote:
> They have posted one video now, and working on putting more up.
>
> http://cc.aljazeera.net/asset/language/arabic/footage-egyptian-protests-al-jazeera-office
>
> It's CC-BY licensed.
>
> I'm pretty technical, but if someone better with video wants to help convert
> it to ogg theora format and get it uploaded to Commons, that would be
> awesome.
>
> Cheers,
> Katie

I've used VLC's transcoder to produce a quick and dirty theora version:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Al_jazeera_2011_egypt_protests.ogv

A bit of work with ffmpeg would produce something far better.
--
geni

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Relevant to Egypt and WMF, it is important that Al-Jazeera has
> released a pile of photos and video as CC by-nd and CC-by-nc-nd:
>

> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/al_jazeera_releases_egypt_coverage_under_creative.php
>
> Now, those aren't free content licenses. But for a news organisation
> to release stuff under even such restrictive licenses as those is
> *radical*.
>
> Is there anyone who could ask someone at Al Jazeera about releasing
> selected photos or clips as CC by-sa? Possible pitch: "Your images of
> the event on Wikipedia! Representing it to the world!"
>

> - d.

I had the good fortune to meet a new Wikimedia that works for readwriteweb.
English Wikipedian [[User:Rwwmike]]. If you'd like a RWW contact, that's
certainly a good place to start. Tell him I sent you ;)

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Дана Saturday 29 January 2011 01:39:26 David Goodman написа:
> A wonderful precedent for other approaches to press agencies--it will
> perhaps work best for those agencies that have an appropriate
> special concern for the area or subject.

This seems like a good place to mention that the precedent was set by the Beta
news agency ( http://www.beta.rs/ ) which gave permission for its news to be
uploaded to Wikinews as CC-BY.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 29 January 2011 06:00, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk@eunet.rs> wrote:
> Дана Saturday 29 January 2011 01:39:26 David Goodman написа:

>> A wonderful precedent for other approaches to press agencies--it will
>> perhaps work best for those agencies   that   have an appropriate
>> special concern for the area or subject.

> This seems like a good place to mention that the precedent was set by the Beta
> news agency ( http://www.beta.rs/ ) which gave permission for its news to be
> uploaded to Wikinews as CC-BY.

I was completely unaware of this!

I think we need a list of such examples. A WMF blog post may be appropriate.

Just imagine if we could make it normal for news agencies to release a
few photos and videos ...

- d.

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On 29 January 2011 11:41, David Gerard <dgerard@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This seems like a good place to mention that the precedent was set by the Beta
>> news agency ( http://www.beta.rs/ ) which gave permission for its news to be
>> uploaded to Wikinews as CC-BY.
>
> I was completely unaware of this!
>
> I think we need a list of such examples. A WMF blog post may be appropriate.

Agência Brasil (Radiobras), the Brazilian government news agency,
releases its material as CC-BY. Using the highly unscientific method
of sampling the changes to the Commons template, it looks like they've
been doing this since mid-2006:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Ag%C3%AAncia_Brasil&action=history

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Hoi,
The Argentian chapter has a lot of news footage from the Argentian National
Broadcaster. Beatriz told us at the GLAM conference in Paris that the
chapter is talking to other broadcasters for their material as well.

At the conference Multichil discussed with her the need for a tool to manage
such riches and as a result it is now localised at translatewiki.net. At the
recent hackathon in Amsterdam, a button was added to allow for the direct
uploading to Commons.

This platform is there to be used. It is freely licensed and we would
*LOVE*it to be used for any and all management of video clips.
Thanks,
GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2011/01/value-of-face-time.html
http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/search/label/OpenBeelden
http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Translating:Open_Images

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Dear Mido,

the Wikimedia movement is like a big family. Even though we sometimes
quarry with each other but especially in time like this we are all with
you. In the last days I often think back of the hospitality from all of
you to so many Wikimedians from all around the world back in Alexandria.
Read your line about following TV ans Twitter also reminds me of June
1989 when I followed radio news hour after hour for every news through
sleepless nights. Back then, very alone, without the community that
gathered here.

For me it showed again how important it is to have neutral and free
informations. And I hope that everything turns out good, and everyone
will be safe at the end.

with my thoughts with you and all our friends there
Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Dear Ting,

I would like to thank you very much for these kind words and support.

Mido

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 15:34, Ting Chen <wing.philopp@gmx.de> wrote:
> the Wikimedia movement is like a big family. Even though we sometimes
> quarry with each other but especially in time like this we are all with
> you. In the last days I often think back of the hospitality from all of
> you to so many Wikimedians from all around the world back in Alexandria.
> Read your line about following TV ans Twitter also reminds me of June
> 1989 when I followed radio news hour after hour for every news through
> sleepless nights. Back then, very alone, without the community that
> gathered here.

I have similar feelings...

It is not the same when you are worried about people which you don't
know personally; and people which you know. For the most of my life,
the most of people which I know were living in Belgrade, but Wikimedia
movement has changed my perspective.

For the first time I've realized that people which I know may be in
problem after L'Aquila earthquake. Then, a number of other events
followed: Iranian protests and present Egyptian protests, but also big
smoke in Moscow and recent Brisbane floods. Even financial crisis in
Ireland makes me to think about my Wikimedian friend there. And
whenever I hear about severe weather conditions somewhere in US, I am
thinking do I know anyone there. I mean, it is not the same to me to
hear about protests in Tunisia, Jordan, Egypt or Iran. I know
Wikimedians from Egypt and Iran.

From one point, it is burdensome. I don't care just about my close
surroundings, but about thousands of people all over the world. But
from the other, it makes happy to know that I have friends all over
the world and that we care for each other.

But, I would like that we don't stop here. I would like to see
Wikimedia movement (WMF, chapters, Wikimedians) to be able to give
real help to Wikimedians -- but not just Wikimedians -- all over the
world in such circumstances. It is not just about keeping information
free. Wikimedia movement has enough resources now to give some real
help: it could be about organizing donations of laptops with Wikipedia
on itself with OLPC; it could be about food.

Mido, please, keep us informed!

Re: Since Egypt has shutdown internet, should we too? [ In reply to ]
Wael was also instrumental in organising the first openstreetmap
mapping party in cairo in 2008

Glad he is safe and all wikimedians

Congrats,
Katie (@aude)

Ps- Sorry for top post

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 11, 2011, at 6:07 PM, Mohamed Ibrahim