adverse affects?

Here are some additional information. I am allowing the outgoing mail
server and soft-failing everything else. Everything seems to work fine
from tests to "spf-test@openspf.org", "check-auth@verifier.port25.com",
and other email providers. They all check the HELO and IP of the mailing
list server.

Thank you,

Chris

RE: SPF with mailing list server [ In reply to ]
Chris wrote on 12/31/2008 5:03:26 PM:

> I am configuring a SPF record for a mailing list server. From my
tests,
> other servers correctly check the HELO and IP of the mailing list
server.
> However, I have exist tracking enabled and the HELO and sending IP in
the
> DNS logs relate to the original sender instead. Could this cause any
> adverse affects?

I am not quite sure of your question, but if you are saying that
your mailing list server is forwarding the messages out, then you could
cause messages to fail the author's SPF record. You should set your
program so that it becomes the "sender" of the message even though the
"from" address can be the original sender. See if this helps:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Forwarding

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- DISCLAIMER: I really should not read mail before I have my coffee

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: SPF with mailing list server [ In reply to ]
Hello,

The mailing list server is not forwarding messages. The headers are
re-written so it would appear to be coming from the mailing list server.
From tests everything seems to be working correctly. However, the HELO and
the sender's IP used by other servers for SPF checking and the ones in the
DNS logs are different.

I am wondering if the wrong data in the DNS logs could possibly cause
problems.

RE: SPF with mailing list server [ In reply to ]
Chris wrote on 1/6/2009 1:56:13 PM:

> The mailing list server is not forwarding messages. The headers are
> re-written so it would appear to be coming from the mailing list
server.
> From tests everything seems to be working correctly. However, the HELO
and
> the sender's IP used by other servers for SPF checking and the ones in
the
> DNS logs are different.
>
> I am wondering if the wrong data in the DNS logs could possibly cause
> problems.

A receiving server can make two SPF checks per message, against
the sender/return-path and against the HELO of the mail server:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Examples

It may be you are seeing one and not the other. If the receiver is
hitting your DNS server it would seem they are checking something that
tells them to use your domain/DNS server...perhaps the logging is
incorrect? I have not used that much yet. Maybe if you posted a
specific example someone could help interpret.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Confucius say: Can not change wife of 40 for two twenties

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~