kind--I've used previous versions of RT and this behavior is indeed
anomalous.
FL
Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:42:29PM -0400, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> I've searched through the archives and it appears that the answer to this problem has not been
> addressed. Attempts to add a new users whose attributes (username, email address) do not
> conflict with that of any other user can fail.
> Is there a patch for this bug? It is not a misunderstanding of some kind--I've used previous
> versions of RT and this behavior is indeed anomalous.

Which version of RT, with what extensions installed? So far this has
always turned out to be a bug in the error message for early 4.0
releases or a misconfiguration.

-kevin
Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Kevin Falcone
<falcone@bestpractical.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 09:42:29PM -0400, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> > I've searched through the archives and it appears that the answer to
> this problem has not been
> > addressed. Attempts to add a new users whose attributes (username,
> email address) do not
> > conflict with that of any other user can fail.
> > Is there a patch for this bug? It is not a misunderstanding of some
> kind--I've used previous
> > versions of RT and this behavior is indeed anomalous.
>
> Which version of RT, with what extensions installed? So far this has
> always turned out to be a bug in the error message for early 4.0
> releases or a misconfiguration.
>
> -kevin

RT4.0.1 (under Unbuntu 11.10)
I'm not sure how to check which extensions are installed.
I have not installed any of the extensions listed on
http://bestpractical.com/rt/extensions.html
but I don't know if ubuntu installs any. Assuming that extensions
are listed under Admin/Tools/Configuration.html, I do not see
any.

I am using nginx and mysql, incidentally. There are some
minor changes to accomodate this.
Thanks,

FL
Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:10:10PM -0400, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> RT4.0.1 (under Unbuntu 11.10)

That version of RT contained the bug that trying to create a user with
a username or email that already exists gave a terrible error message.

This includes Unprivileged or Disabled users, so you may need to go to
the Users page and use either the Goto User box or the search to find
the user who already exists.

I believe that 4.0.2 or higher would give you a better error message
(As fixed by 24e10893b834a15675a63757219ad03a3a51eb15 ) and some
related commits.

-kevin
Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Kevin Falcone <falcone@bestpractical.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 12:10:10PM -0400, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> > RT4.0.1 (under Unbuntu 11.10)
>
> That version of RT contained the bug that trying to create a user with
> a username or email that already exists gave a terrible error message.
>
> This includes Unprivileged or Disabled users, so you may need to go to
> the Users page and use either the Goto User box or the search to find
> the user who already exists.
>
> I assure you they don't exist, even after repeated attempts! My honest
efforts to create Privileged, Enabled users were dashed. I've tried to
search
for the invisible users -- they were invisible because they were never
created.

> I believe that 4.0.2 or higher would give you a better error message
> (As fixed by 24e10893b834a15675a63757219ad03a3a51eb15 ) and some
> related commits.
>
> Since this is a new installation, I'm inclined to start over with 4.0.5.
I had to piece together some installation notes from around the web
for 4.0.1 (I'm running rt-server.fcgi with nginx, etc).

Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On 03/12/2012 05:17 PM, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> Since this is a new installation, I'm inclined to start over with 4.0.5.
> I had to piece together some installation notes from around the web
> for 4.0.1 (I'm running rt-server.fcgi with nginx, etc).

We document an nginx config in docs/web_deployment.pod and RT
installation is covered in the README. What was missing that you
expected documented?
Re: Couldn't load user '' [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Thomas Sibley <trs@bestpractical.com>wrote:

> On 03/12/2012 05:17 PM, Florian Lengyel wrote:
> > Since this is a new installation, I'm inclined to start over with 4.0.5.
> > I had to piece together some installation notes from around the web
> > for 4.0.1 (I'm running rt-server.fcgi with nginx, etc).
>
> We document an nginx config in docs/web_deployment.pod and RT
> installation is covered in the README. What was missing that you
> expected documented?

It's not a criticism of RT's documentation, which is complete, but a
reflection
of my own installation, which began with an apt-get install of
request-tracker4
(really 4.0.1) and ended with an upgrade to 4.0.5 as of this email.

I had forgotten that I had eventually used docs/web_deployment.pod
(or some copy on the RT wiki). For the upgrade I decided to download
the source and recompile. The upgrade from 4.01 to
4.0.5 worked. Since I began with an Ubuntu apt-get install, I ended up
copying the
/etc/request-tracker4/RT_SiteConfig.pl to /opt/rt4/etc/RT_SiteConfig.pl.
I was also able to set some configure options that required manual
configuration
(the default Ubuntu install uses SQLite instead of mysql, as I recall. This
is the
reason for hunting around the web.)

FL