Subject: zeromq modules for rsyslog
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 20:01:16 +0100
From: Pablo Chacin <pchacin@inteleye.com>
To: ken@bonsai.com

Hi Ken

I've been trying to make the zeromq modules for rsyslog but with no luck.
First, I tried with rsyslog 6.3.6 and had to tweak a little bit to make them
compile (see the attached diff files). However, I can't make them work.
I tried sending log records from a test program.

Also, tried to use rsyslog to read records from a file (see zmq.log) ,
sent it using omzeromq to imzeromq and the
to a output file, but it didn't work (see attached config file).

I'm not getting any error, but neither any signal of zeromq doing anything.

I'll appreciate if you could help me with this. For example, how to debug
the modules in rsyslog (I tried with gdb but couldn't find a way to set a
breakpoint at any of these modules)

Thanks in advance

Pablo

--
Pablo Chacin
R&D Engineer
Re: Fwd: zeromq modules for rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Pablo -

I'm one of the maintainers of the rsyslog zeromq modules. I wanted to drop
you a note to let you know, we have never built the modules against rsyslog
6 (we are using 5.8.x). We have plans to begin tests against rsyslog 6
early next year.

I'm working on a "getting started" article with our plugins that should be
of use to people trying to use them that should be completed this week.
I'll drop a note on the mailing list when the article is up!

Brian

Re: Fwd: zeromq modules for rsyslog [ In reply to ]

Off-topic, but maybe of interest: the config part in v6 is pretty different.
However, it should be easy to move to the new config system. I suggest to
look at e.g. omfile to see how it was modified.

Rainer
Re: Fwd: zeromq modules for rsyslog [ In reply to ]
Brian

Thanks for the info. That getting started guide will be of great help.
I'll spend some more time debugging the zeromq modules to see why
they fail and will report this info back to you.

I'll also see what Reiner said in the other message in the list about the
changes in the configuration.

I'll stay tuned waiting for news.

Pablo

Pablo Chacin
R&D Engineer
Sensefields SL
Tlf (+34) 93 418 05 85
Baixada de Gomis 1,
08023 Barcelona (Spain)
http://www.sensefields.com/

Re: Fwd: zeromq modules for rsyslog [ In reply to ]
So far, both modules seems to work well in version 6.3 with the patch I
already commented.
I tested reading from a file, forwarding messages using omzeromq,
reading those messages
using imzeromq and sending to another file.

Pablo Chacin
R&D Engineer
Sensefields SL
Tlf (+34) 93 418 05 85