Mailing List Archive

RE: [perl #7873] [RESOLVED] Accessing remote file on OpenVMS with perl 5.6.1 fails
Hello Brad and others;

We are now using Perl 5.8.6 and the same problem exists. Here's my specifics:

On OpenVMS MEG2::

open(FH,'>ITN3::A.A') or die "Failed to open file\n";
print "Got here\n";
print FH "test";
close FH;

Fatal VMS error (status=2312) at P_ROOT:[000000]VMS.C;2, line 6706 at a.pl line 1.
Fatal VMS error (status=2312) at P_ROOT:[000000]VMS.C;2, line 6706.
%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

Changed script to use DECnet to itself:

open(FH,'>MEG2::A.A') or die "Failed to open file\n";
print "Got here\n";
print FH "test";
close FH;

Works successfully.

Moved script to ITN3::

open(FH,'>MEG2::A.A') or die "Failed to open file\n";
print "Got here\n";
print FH "test";
close FH;

Fatal VMS error (status=2312) at P_ROOT:[000000]VMS.C;2, line 6706 at a.pl line 1.
Fatal VMS error (status=2312) at P_ROOT:[000000]VMS.C;2, line 6706.
%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available

Changed script to use DECnet to itself:

open(FH,'>ITN3::A.A') or die "Failed to open file\n";
print "Got here\n";
print FH "test";
close FH;

Works successfully.

So it seems predictable that it will fail when it tries to connect to a remote server via DECnet, but works fine when connecting over DECnet to itself. There is a noticeable delay when the script is trying to open a file on its own server over DECnet, so it does seem that it is in fact connecting over DECnet instead of being smart and skipping the DECnet connection when it sees that the local server and the remote server are the same.

I'm not overly concerned about this issue. I initially opened this ticket coming up to 11 years ago and we have always worked around this issue. Now we're moving off OpenVMS to Linux, so it will definitely be a non-issue there. However, if you want to pursue it, I'd be happy to do what I can here on my OpenVMS servers.

Regards,

Doug Woronuk
Senior Software Analyst
Communications Protocols