Mailing List Archive

Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix)
I recently moved from NTop v.3.2 SourceForge .tgz [i686-pc-linux-gnu]
to ntop v.4.1.0 (32 bit) [i686-pc-linux-gnu] (within NST v2.15)

The main feature I use is to click on the graph after navigating to
Summary -> Network Load

Last 10 minutes Throughput
http://ntop.mydomain.com:3000/thptStatsMatrix.html?col=0

Last hour
http://ntop.mydomain.com:3000/thptStatsMatrix.html?col=1

Current Day
http://ntop.mydomain.com:3000/thptStatsMatrix.html?col=2

Last Month
http://ntop.mydomain.com:3000/thptStatsMatrix.html?col=3

Appears to have fanished or relocated. I can't seem to find it. Direct
navigation to the urls do not work.
This sounds like the same issue eeie9999 just posted about also.
How can I get this feature back?
--
Thanks, Joe
Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
If we're talking about the same thing, sorta sounds like we are, its the reason I stayed with 4.0.3! Well, one of the reasons anyway. Maybe the code has been removed or???

[...]

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
return email and delete this email from your system."

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Hhmm. I want to avoid going back to v3.2 as it was unstable for me (it
rarely stayed on greater than a 24 hour period). I never had luck
building Ntop from scratch so I stick with the versions within NST. I
was never able to conclude if v3.2 was unstable for me because of a
bad RAID build on the vm host or v3.2 itself.
--
Thanks, Joe

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
I was speaking of 4.0.3, 3.2 IS old.

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Yup. I only have NST v2.13 and v2.15 which only have NTOP 3.2 and 4.1.
I am not certain I can downgrade. I suppose I could copy my vmware
image and then give it a try. Too bad there isn't 26 hours in a day
though.
--
Thanks, Joe

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Oh, sorry. If I feel froggy I could MAYBE diff 403 and 410 and see where it was removed, but "fixing" it may be more challenging.

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Joe
this feature is gone in 4.1. I have started to re-implement it nicely in
4.1.x but for the time being is not there. This said, is the matrix
really useful? Or "top X" of something is enough?

luca

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Luca,
It is very useful. It tells me the current high talkers (ip
addresses/hosts) in the associated time (10min, 1hr, 24hr, etc)
Where as, all the other ntop reports appear to be accumulative.
For example, if I see a real-time network spike in my SolarWinds data,
these ntop thptStatsMatrix reports quickly tell me what ip addresses
to take a look at.
I use it often.
--
Thanks, Joe

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
The "Matrix" can be useful in some circumstances, but for me it has never really worked that well. Especially if you have 40K hosts - it doesn't like that very much. But, it would be handy if one could specify a scope for a matrix function, such as an IP range?, and THEN display a matrix.

The TopN (Top3 in older confs) was useful as Joe pointed out. Hence why I have not upgraded to 4.1.0. More useful would be one to specify in globals-defines.h what "n" should equal in their TopN reports: 3, 5, 10?

Just my $.02!

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
I had down to version 4.0.3
The page useful when bandwidth full.
It can see who use most bandwidth in 1 min.
then i can found which machine or service need to adjust.(or virus)
Sometime i use the hour matrix to know who use most during the night.

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Luca, etal,

I also found this feature very useful. After spending the morning getting
4.1.0 up and running on our proxy I was dismayed to see this missing.
It's a great feature for a small network (a few subnets, < 250 hosts for us)
when a quick look is needed.
A Top 3, or Top 5 sent/received hosts in 10 minute, 1 hour ,and daily
increments
are nice easy numbers for management. I imagine a page under "Summary >
Top Host Throughput" would do nicely if integration behind the Network Load
statistics page has become overly complicated.

Thank you for producing this tool and continuing to support it!
Your efforts are more than appreciated!

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM, eeie eeie <eeie9999@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had down to version 4.0.3
> The page useful when bandwidth full.
> It can see who use most bandwidth in 1 min.
> then i can found which machine or service need to adjust.(or virus)
> Sometime i use the hour matrix to know who use most during the night.

Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not a statistical
chance but rather a by-product of our own will?
That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who
doesn't, but our own decisions?
Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
On 10/10/2011 04:50 AM, Luca Deri wrote:
> Joe
> this feature is gone in 4.1. I have started to re-implement it nicely in
> 4.1.x but for the time being is not there. This said, is the matrix
> really useful? Or "top X" of something is enough?
>
> luca
>
> On 10/07/2011 04:04 PM, JoeSox wrote:
>> I recently moved from NTop v.3.2 SourceForge .tgz [i686-pc-linux-gnu]
>> to ntop v.4.1.0 (32 bit) [i686-pc-linux-gnu] (within NST v2.15)
>>
>> The main feature I use is to click on the graph after navigating to
>> Summary -> Network Load

<snip>

We use it extensively to see who the top talkers are when we run out of bandwidth.
Please, Please re-implement it.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Luca,
Has this feature been re-implemented?
I am interested in downloading then using version 4.1.99-5209.28.nst16
that comes bundled with
http://networksecuritytoolkit.org/nst/log/manifest-2.16.0-3170.html

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Joe
you have per-host list of top rx/tx talkers. I hope is enough

Luca

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Joe

Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Luca,

Thanks for such a great product.

However not having the top talkers on the Network Load screen is
a real killer for us as far a 4.1.x is concerned. Sometimes we have
to go back in time to investigate who was using the bandwidth hours ago.

The current All Protocols->Throughput doesn't have any history other
than a average.

On another note in testing 4.1.0 All Protocols->Throughput doesn't seem to
separate rcvd and sent correctly. I had a system sending a lot of packets
to the system I was running NTOP on and it always said the NTOP box had the
highest current rate whether I selecected Sent or Recvd.

On 03/15/2012 01:54 PM, Luca Deri wrote:
> Joe
> you have per-host list of top rx/tx talkers. I hope is enough
>
> Luca
>
> On Mar 15, 2012, at 3:14 PM, JoeSox wrote:
>
>> Luca,
>> Has this feature been re-implemented?
>> I am interested in downloading then using version 4.1.99-5209.28.nst16
>> that comes bundled with
>> http://networksecuritytoolkit.org/nst/log/manifest-2.16.0-3170.html
>> --
>> Thanks, Joe
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:50 AM, Luca Deri<deri@ntop.org> wrote:
>>> Joe
>>> this feature is gone in 4.1. I have started to re-implement it nicely in
>>> 4.1.x but for the time being is not there. This said, is the matrix really
>>> useful? Or "top X" of something is enough?
>>>
>>> luca

Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Director of Technology
Re: Missing Feature? (thptStatsMatrix) [ In reply to ]
Luca,