Mailing List Archive

mx240 vs asr 9006
Hi

I have to upgrade my bgp routers, i have budget for two options:

1.
- bundle: MX240BASE-AC-HIGH, MPC1-3D-R-B, MIC-3D-20XGE-SFP,
MIC-3D-2XGE-XFP; configurable RE, SCB, and PEM
- better routing engine RE-S-1800X2-8G-UPG-BB + jflow license ( netflow
v9 or ipfix) S-ACCT-JFLOW-IN

or

2. asr 9006
- A9K-RSP-4G
- A9K-MOD80-TR, 80G Modular Linecard, Packet Transport Optimized
- license for l3 vpn

the price is almost the same. I need:

- ports: from 4x10G line to max 8x10G, line rate
- 3 virtual routers with full ip routing table v4
- 10 virtual routers with ca 10k prefix in routing table v4
- v6
- up to 12 full bgp feed
- netflow v9 or ipfix, sampling max 100/s
- define counters on logical and physical interfaces, count many times
to the same counter, one packet could be count to different counters in
next term
- access to counters via snmp
- independent control plane and data plane
- and few others things on bgp edge

which model will be better ?
thanks for some advice

regards
Peter

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
The last time I looked the ASR9K still had a small FIB and tapped out at
around 500K.

Thank you,

--
Doug Hanks - JNCIE-ENT #213, JNCIE-SP #875
Sr. Systems Engineer

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Note that the MX requires an MS-DPC card in order to to NetFlow v9.

Serge

________________________________

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
The MX using Trio/MPC line cards support inline IPFIX for flow statistics. No services card required. Just have to be sure your collector supports it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Flow_Information_Export

Thank you,

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
If you are using the newer RSP440 and newer linecards it is substantially higher, 2M+ IPv4. But you are right the first gen cards the original poster had speced only support 512K in the FIB and we are at 400K+ now in the Internet table.

Phil

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Does that put the cost comparison out of alignment?

*Skeeve Stevens, CEO*
eintellego Pty Ltd
skeeve@eintellego.net ; www.eintellego.net <http://www.eintellego.net.au>

Phone: 1300 753 383 ; Fax: (+612) 8572 9954

Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; skype://skeeve

facebook.com/eintellego

twitter.com/networkceoau ; www.linkedin.com/in/skeeve

PO Box 7726, Baulkham Hills, NSW 1755 Australia

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco – Brocade - IBM

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Also, I might be wrong, but doesn't the RSP4G limit the per slot cap to 40g in a single RSP (failure) scenario? That rules out your max 8x10G line rate.

Again I could be wrong, I'm going off of memory.

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
No it is 80G per slot redundant. The older 8T 8x10G cards are not quite line rate at all packet sizes but are in an IMIX scenario. Cisco and juniper both have been playing pretty loose with the term line rate lately.

Pricing wise they do have an 80G modular card which has a 4x10G and 20x1G module which is probably right around the same cost as the MX stuff. The RSP440 also has a couple 10G ports if you want to use them...

Phil

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Go with the 480 if you go juniper. The cost difference between chassis is
negligible even if you won't use the extra slots for some time. Haven't
played with the cisco option much so I can't vouch for the 9k. Your
environment matters as well. What your engineers are comfortable with,
what your automation and backend systems suport, etc. The boxes also
differ in terms of horsepower, number of routes supported,port density.
Are any of these limits important to you? If they are really
interchangeable in your environment I'd probably go with the cheaper of the
two.

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
I agree with that. I looked at the ASR the other day. the 6 slot chassis is only 4 for line cards. the first two are taken.
The 480 allows for six + 2xSCB/RE

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
> The MX using Trio/MPC line cards support inline IPFIX for flow statistics. No services card required. Just have to be sure your collector supports it.

But they still need a (rather expensive) license?

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
On 04/24/2012 09:58 PM, Doug Hanks wrote:
> The MX using Trio/MPC line cards support inline IPFIX for flow
> statistics. No services card required. Just have to be sure your
> collector supports it.

I believe at the present time, inline IPFIX is IPv4-only?
Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 09:35:03AM +0100, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 04/24/2012 09:58 PM, Doug Hanks wrote:
>> The MX using Trio/MPC line cards support inline IPFIX for flow
>> statistics. No services card required. Just have to be sure your
>> collector supports it.
>
> I believe at the present time, inline IPFIX is IPv4-only?

I can't believe I'm about to say this but...
"IPv6 is listed as supported in 12.1 (released)"

Not tested (can't imagine why).

I thought I had been told MPLS was in too, but don't see it.

--
Euan Galloway
Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 07:31:13PM -0400, Phil Bedard wrote:
>If you are using the newer RSP440 and newer linecards it is substantially higher, 2M+ IPv4. But you are right the first gen cards the original poster had speced only support 512K in the FIB and we are at 400K+ now in the Internet table.

You can configure the scale profile on the trident based cards to support 1M
routes on RSP2. you do sacrifice some L2 scale though, iirc.

default —efficient for deployments that require large Layer 2 MAC tables (up to 512,000 entries) and a relatively small number of Layer 3 routes (less than 512,000).

l3 —efficient for deployments that require more Layer 3 routes (up to 1 million) and smaller Layer 2 MAC tables (less than 128,000 entries).

l3xl —efficient for deployments that require a very large number of Layer 3 routes (up to 1.3 million) and minimal Layer 2 functionality. Note that the support for up to 1.3 million routes is split into IPv4 scaled support and IPv4/IPV6 scaled support. You can configure up to 1.3 million IPv4 routes, or up to 1 million IPv4 routes with 128,000 IPv6 routes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr9000/software/asr9k_r4.2/system_management/configuration/guide/b_sysman_cg42asr9k_chapter_01.html#task_3A082F6CD31D4A238070C3CD7279E67A

-b

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Yes thanks for mentioning that.

My opinion would be to use a MX480 like someone else said just due to the increased slot capacity, over the 9006 or 240.

Phil

Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 03:54:56 PM Phil Bedard wrote:

> Yes thanks for mentioning that.
>
> My opinion would be to use a MX480 like someone else said
> just due to the increased slot capacity, over the 9006
> or 240.

For me, the extra 2x slots on the MX480 wouldn't be a
compelling-enough reason to choose it over the ASR9006. Like
someone mentioned earlier, chassis pricing is so negligible
that it makes more sense to go for an MX480 over an MX240
like it would to go for an ASR9010 over an ASR9006. In our
case, it's mostly come down to how much we want to scale in
the space that we (don't have), which is why an MX240 has
never made any sense to us, just like the ASR1004.

Moroever, both the MX and ASR9000 chassis' are shipping
faster line cards that mean you can pack more bandwidth into
a single slot by the time you think about scaling across the
entire chassis.

Having operated both platforms in the same network, while
I'll always have both vendors in my network as principle, my
reasons to choose one over the other would be:

o I'd prefer an ASR9000 over the MX because of the
"more intuitive" ingress packet marking on the
Cisco. Juniper can now do it on the Trio line
cards with firewall filters, but it doesn't
support marking of EXP bits. If only Juniper -
despite the numerous times I've asked - could
implement the ToS Translation Tables feature that
they do for the IQ2 and IQ2E PIC's for the M-
series routers, on the MX line, it would bring
them inline with Cisco on this platform (Juniper's
classic egress marking/rewriting has always been
awkward, IMHO).

o I'd prefer the MX because it implements NG-MVPN,
while Cisco are still mucking about, re-enacting
the LDP vs. BGP fiasco of old.

o I'd prefer the the Cisco if I had to mix the
classic and newer line cards in the same chassis,
as (at least for a long while), mixing DPC's and
MPC's was problematic. Word is that this is no
longer an issue - I'm due to test.

o I'd prefer the Juniper because Cisco make you pay
for ridiculous licenses just to deploy l3vpn's on
the ASR9000.

You get the point... but:

o Either router would be fine for basic IPv4, IPv6
and MPLS services.

o Either router would be fine for PE Aggregation
scenarios in Metro-E networks.

o Either router would be fine if I wanted to add
non-Ethernet line cards to it (the MX is now
sporting these, even though I'm wary it may not be
mature yet).

o Either router would be fine if I wanted to run
100Gbps Ethernet ports.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
Re: mx240 vs asr 9006 [ In reply to ]
Pro JUNOS:

I would add that JUNOS I think has much better automation features.  Also there are some interesting features on the MX that make deploying "appliance-in-the-cloud" setups easier to deploy (BGP capable appliance between MPLS LERs).

I generally think VPLS is easier in JUNOS.

Pro Cisco:

MPLS/VRF aware "foo."  Like NAT, SSL, IPSec/GET, and just a load of other features.  Although I'm not sure how much of this applies to the 9k..

Derick Winkworth
CCIE #15672 (RS, SP), JNCIE-M #721
http://packetpushers.net/author/dwinkworth/