Mailing List Archive

Using Active Directory to set user home folder fails.
I have a customer who has upgraded to OnTap 6.2R2 and he has run into bug
42100 which is described as follows:

Using Active Directory to set a user profile's home folder to map the user's
CIFS home directory on a filer fails. When attempting to set the user home
directory to \\filer\%username% AD puts up a MsgBox with the error message:
The home folder could not be created because: The network name cannot be
found. The reason AD does this is because it tries to verify that the home
folder path exists. However, the CIFS home directory for a given user is
only visible to that user. With the User Manager tool in NT4, setting the
user's home folder path to a filer's CIFS home directory would cause a
warning but User Manager did not prevent the operation as Active Directory
does.
The workaround described below doesn't work under version 6.2R2 of OnTap. It
does work under version 6.1.2R1. Well the first workaround would work but
that is not an option for my customer. He is about to migrate about 500
users so that would definately be to much work.

Use this workaround: a) Create a share on the filer with the user's name. b)
Set the user profile's home folder to the filer CIFS home directory. c)
Delete the share with the user's name. Or use this 2 step procedure for
Ontap 6.0 and above: a) Create the homedir folder of the user which is
creating the user profiles. For example, if the filer homedir path is /home
and AD is being run by Administrator then "mkdir \\filer\home\Administrator"
b) When creating a user profile, instead of setting the home folder to
\\filer\%username%, set the home folder path to \\filer\CIFS.HOMEDIR or to
\\filer\~
Has anyone else come across this problem? If so, how did you fix it.

_________________
Regards

Benny
RE: Using Active Directory to set user home folder fails. [ In reply to ]
I'm experiencing a problem accessing homedirs under Windows XP. I used to
(about 3 days ago) access my homedir from the filer (ONTAP 6.1.3R1) using
the CIFS OPTIONS HOMEDIR DOMAIN feature...I can access my homedir fine from
Windows NT4/2K as \\filer\username, but not with Windows XP anymore. Has
anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks,
Eric Pero
Technical Team Leader
ETSD Intel Server Support
The Hartford
Eric.Pero@thehartford.com

[...]

immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.