Mailing List Archive

VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger?
Hi all,

I've been testing the new functionality in VSC 4 around online
re-alignment. I've done some tests with a test datastore and test VM
under load, all fine.

However I have an estate of over 200 datastores. Has anyone run the
scan manager across all their datastores at once? Was there any
noticeable impact to the VMs? As far as I can tell, I can only
schedule the scan to scan everything at once. I know I could manually
do batches but I need to run the scans overnight.

I've found documentation around the actual online alignment function
and warnings to not do too many at once, but nothing about the scan.
There also seems to be no way of stopping the scan once it starts,
which makes my rollback plan in my CR for this scan a bit empty
looking and hard to justify.

And a long shot, just out of curiosity, if anyone has any information
on what the scan actually does would be interesting too. I can see it
takes a VM snapshot for each VM in the datastore, then deletes it, but
that's it. I've searched NOW high and low, but documentation on VSC 4
is pretty thin on the ground.

Thanks,
Peta
Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
Its taking the SS because the files are locked by the ESX hosts...

The VMDK initial offsets are scanned..a handful of blocks maybe?

That's it really. Similar to the offset scan you would run by hand.

Id bet the SS creation/deletion is most of the load..as it were.

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Peta Thames <petathames@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been testing the new functionality in VSC 4 around online
> re-alignment. I've done some tests with a test datastore and test VM
> under load, all fine.
>
> However I have an estate of over 200 datastores. Has anyone run the
> scan manager across all their datastores at once? Was there any
> noticeable impact to the VMs? As far as I can tell, I can only
> schedule the scan to scan everything at once. I know I could manually
> do batches but I need to run the scans overnight.
>
> I've found documentation around the actual online alignment function
> and warnings to not do too many at once, but nothing about the scan.
> There also seems to be no way of stopping the scan once it starts,
> which makes my rollback plan in my CR for this scan a bit empty
> looking and hard to justify.
>
> And a long shot, just out of curiosity, if anyone has any information
> on what the scan actually does would be interesting too. I can see it
> takes a VM snapshot for each VM in the datastore, then deletes it, but
> that's it. I've searched NOW high and low, but documentation on VSC 4
> is pretty thin on the ground.
>
> Thanks,
> Peta

---
Gustatus Similis Pullus
Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
I suggest do it by batches and run in on quiet times. Also make sure you have ample space for VM snapshots.

Sent from my iPad

RE: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
This maybe off topic, but I am a bit frustrated here. Is there anyway ANYONE knows of a way one becomes abreast of new updates to Netapp software one has purchased? We have someone doing re-alignments during the late evening taking downtime to re-align these windows 2003 vms. Any help is appreciated.
BTW, thanks Peta for posting this. This is my current method of knowing what's out there and what others are doing. > From: cruxrealm@aol.com

Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
How often do you extract free lunch from your sales droids?

Sent from my iPhone

RE: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
often. Thats what concerns me..
CC: cruxrealm@aol.com; petathames@gmail.com; toasters@teaparty.net
From: speedtoys.racing@gmail.com
Subject: Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:38:25 -0700
To: sklise@hotmail.com

Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
More expensive lunch next time.

Escalate by bringing other dept. members.

Then ask why. :).

Make not knowing expensive. WITH appetizers.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
I'm frustrated they seemed to have released it before its done - see my post from 2 weeks ago

"VSC 4 missing VAAI and getting no VMs for aligned/not aligned"

https://communities.netapp.com/message/78768

Are people successfully using it to align VMs ?

We aligned all our VMs over a year ago when Netapp cited it as a prereq for helping us solve a latency issue.

I forget how I found out about VSC 4.0 - but I usually get this info from RSS feeds of blogs.

If the online alignment is production ready I can't believe they didn't tell folks earlier this was in the pipeline since it would save folks TONS of downtime we went through last year.
I remember asking back in June 2009 about "Adding VM re-alignment to SVMotion - which API?"

at that time the APIs were not there…

RE: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
Does anyone know how to get, or make, or create a VMDK (FC) LUN to be optimized? I didn't read it in the admin guide, or release notes. I have created a new lun viaNetapp/vshpere plugin; tried to use an existing lun, created a new lun etc. Every instance we see the lun as not optimized.

* Using DOT 7.3.3p2

* 6040's HA

* FC license

* All luns are set to ALUA/yes

* Vshpere is 5 and running esxi5 and esx4.x on the hosts

Re: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
It is part of the Optimization and Migration process. After you scan under the Optimization and Migration tab, there will be a list of machines under the misaligned folder on the left hand frame. Under that there will be a "online migration" sub folder. Once you select that subfolder a list of VM's that are eligible for the online optimization will be listed. You will then select
Each machine individually or select "migrate all" which will launch a wizard. After the wizard has been completed VSC will then create the optimized datastore and migrate the VM's.

I would reach out to your SE for a more in depth overview of when to use this tool and the caveats etc.

RE: VSC 4 and online alignment - anyone used it in anger? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the kick start. I will reach out to our SE/VAR.

Thank again.