From: Jay Ashworth [mailto:jra@baylink.com]
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:35 PM
To: NANOG
Subject: WW: Colo Vending Machine

Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
let vendor specificity scare you off.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
RE: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Erik Soosalu wrote:

> 1) Patch cables every 1' length from 3-10'
> 2) Velcro wrap
> 3) Tools (screwdrivers, etc)
>
> And since the racks usually come with the cage nuts, maybe the colo should just provide them.

they do? nonono, you have to buy those seperately :P

racks don't even come with "doors" and "side walls" etc by default *grin*

you have to buy them seperately anyway if you want to make sure your
company uses all the same ones, so you don't have to take them out again
and replace them because some fukkin idiot put the wrong size into the
hole as it "came with something else"

RE: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Diagonal cutters
Screwdriver with interchangeable Phillips/straight blade
Small flashlight (with the data center provider's logo even!)
Headlamp
Small mirror (inspection mirror)
Rack screws
Zip ties
Velcro ties
Sharpie markers
Pens
Notebook of shirt pocket size with pages that can be easily torn out for leaving notes.
Post-It
Assortment of electrical tape in various colors.
SFPs (optical and RJ-45, short and long range)
USB stick (sans viruses)
Patch cords 1, 3, 5 meter. Copper, multi-mode, single-mode fiber
USB to DB9 dongle (with driver on USB stick or one the computer can discover on the Internet)
Standard charger of sort used for most smart phones these days or the proper USB cable (micro USB)

The vending machine should use a card like an ATM/gift card, not accept cash. You should be able to "charge" the card with some cash via a web portal and keep the card in the facility in your space. If something is needed, one can purchase it with the card. If there is no money on the card, a person can add cash to the card via a web portal somewhere. Scenario: remote hands guy arrives on site, needs an SFP, card doesn't have enough money on it, calls me, I can add the cash to the card, he can purchase the SFP and leave the card in the space for the next time it is needed.
RE: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
> Please post your top 3 favorite components/parts you'd like to see in a
> vending machine at your colo; please be as specific as possible; don't
> let vendor specificity scare you off.
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra
> --
> Jay R. Ashworth Baylink
> jra@baylink.com
> Designer The Things I Think
> RFC 2100
> Ashworth & Associates http://baylink.pitas.com 2000 Land
> Rover DII
> St Petersburg FL USA http://photo.imageinc.us +1 727
> 647 1274

USB A/B/Mini/Micro/Nano/Pico/etc/etc/etc cables
Spare parts (common sizes of RAM/Disks/Fans)
New servers (probably don't fit in a vending machine, but in that dark place where you need a new box *TONIGHT*, this could be a godsend)
Generically sized hoodie or sweatshirt. Datacenters can get really cold if you're in there longer than expected.
Advil/Ibuprofen/Generic OTC Pain Reliever
Cisco Console Cables

Outside of a vending machine, I've also seen a few facilities that have normal vending machines (including instant coffee dispensers). This has, on more than one occasion, kept me standing long enough to get the jorb done.

Nathan Eisenberg
RE: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
I know I'm being a freaking idealist.

My tool bag carries all my required sets of screws and cage nuts. Works
great until the first level guy decides to borrow something and not put
it back.

Thanks,
Erik

jra@baylink.com

RE: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
or you just use your datacenter access rfid pass to pay and they put it on
the bill later on.

--
Greetings,

Sven Olaf Kamphuis,
CB3ROB Ltd. & Co. KG
Address: Koloniestrasse 34 VAT Tax ID: DE267268209
D-13359 Registration: HRA 42834 B
BERLIN Phone: +31/(0)87-8747479
Germany GSM: +49/(0)152-26410799
RIPE: CBSK1-RIPE e-Mail: sven@cb3rob.net
<penpen> C3P0, der elektrische Westerwelle
http://www.facebook.com/cb3rob

Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this
email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged
and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or
individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or

Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Better double the size of the colo to accommodate the rows upon rows of
vending machines filled with all the stuff you would have brought with
you if you'd planned ahead.
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
i just want to pay a compliment to the fibercloud colo in the seattle
westin. there are crash carts, a tool-chest, rack screws, other screws,
garbage cans, ... and, if you are polite, they'll loan you usbs, blank
cds, ... and, as remote hands, they are smarter than i. oops, maybe
that's not a compliment.

randy
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On 17 Feb 2012, at 20:18, "Randy Bush" <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> i just want to pay a compliment to the fibercloud colo in the seattle
> westin. there are crash carts, a tool-chest, rack screws, other screws,
> garbage cans, ... and, if you are polite, they'll loan you usbs, blank
> cds, ... and, as remote hands, they are smarter than i. oops, maybe
> that's not a compliment.
>
> randy

There used to me a guy called Mike at telecity NY (25 Broadway) who was just fantastic. With mike and the radio shack next door there was not much that could not be fixed.

Mike, wherever you are now, kudos!

--
Leigh

Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]

> The vending machine should use a card like an ATM/gift card, not accept cash. You should be able to "charge" the card with some cash via a web portal and keep the card in the facility in your space. If something is needed, one can purchase it with the card. If there is no money on the card, a person can add cash to the card via a web portal somewhere. Scenario: remote hands guy arrives on site, needs an SFP, card doesn't have enough money on it, calls me, I can add the cash to the card, he can purchase the SFP and leave the card in the space for the next time it is needed.

Actually pricing should be 8 bits, 16 bits, or maybe 32 bits for the really important stuff.

George
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM, George Carey <george@montco.net> wrote:

>> The vending machine should use a card like an ATM/gift card, not accept cash.  You should be able to "charge" the card with some cash via a web portal and keep the card in the facility in your space.  If something is needed, one can purchase it with the card.  If there is no money on the card, a person can add cash to the card via a web portal somewhere.   Scenario:  remote hands guy arrives on site, needs an SFP, card doesn't have enough money on it, calls me, I can add the cash to the card, he can purchase the SFP and leave the card in the space for the next time it is needed.
>>

> Actually pricing should be 8 bits, 16 bits, or maybe 32 bits for the really important stuff.

Will IANA accept netblock transfers as an exchange medium for
datacenter goodies vending machine payments? ... ;-)

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:00 PM, George Herbert
<george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:44 PM, George Carey <george@montco.net> wrote:
>>

>>> The vending machine should use a card like an ATM/gift card, not accept cash.  You should be able to "charge" the card with some cash via a web portal and keep the card in the facility in your space.  If something is needed, one can purchase it with the card.  If there is no money on the card, a person can add cash to the card via a web portal somewhere.   Scenario:  remote hands guy arrives on site, needs an SFP, card doesn't have enough money on it, calls me, I can add the cash to the card, he can purchase the SFP and leave the card in the space for the next time it is needed.
>>>

>> Actually pricing should be 8 bits, 16 bits, or maybe 32 bits for the really important stuff.
>
> Will IANA accept netblock transfers as an exchange medium for
> datacenter goodies vending machine payments? ...  ;-)

Joking while busy discouraged. s/IANA/ARIN/d'oh

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert@gmail.com
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:02, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Will IANA accept netblock transfers as an exchange medium for
>> datacenter goodies vending machine payments? ...  ;-)
>
> Joking while busy discouraged.  s/IANA/ARIN/d'oh

I suspect ARIN would follow its policy to recognize
any transfer and update its records as long as the
needs assessment was successfully completed,
but any compensation between the seller and
buyer of the resource is not part of the ARIN process.

(This is a (bad?) joke reference to a currently
ongoing discussion on the ARIN PPML list).
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 01:02, George Herbert <george.herbert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Will IANA accept netblock transfers as an exchange medium for
>>> datacenter goodies vending machine payments? ...  ;-)
>>
>> Joking while busy discouraged.  s/IANA/ARIN/d'oh
>
> I suspect ARIN would follow its policy to recognize
> any transfer and update its records as long as the
> needs assessment was successfully completed,
> but any compensation between the seller and
> buyer of the resource is not part of the ARIN process.
>
> (This is a (bad?) joke reference to a currently
> ongoing discussion on the ARIN PPML list).

Hah. So, this should work, provided both entities are on the STSL then.

--- Harrison
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Astrodog wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Joking while busy discouraged. s/IANA/ARIN/d'oh
>>
>> I suspect ARIN would follow its policy to recognize
>> any transfer and update its records as long as the
>> needs assessment was successfully completed,
>> but any compensation between the seller and
>> buyer of the resource is not part of the ARIN process.
>>
>> (This is a (bad?) joke reference to a currently
>> ongoing discussion on the ARIN PPML list).
>
> Hah. So, this should work, provided both entities are on the STSL then.

"Sure..." ;-)

That means you'd want about $2K worth of gear because of the existing /24
minimum, in addition to vending machine able to explain why it needs the
address space.

Have fun,
/John

p.s. A /16 might be about right for a pack of 100G SMF CFP modules...
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM, John Curran <jcurran@istaff.org> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Astrodog wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I suspect ARIN would follow its policy to recognize
>>> any transfer and update its records as long as the
>>> needs assessment was successfully completed,
>>> but any compensation between the seller and
>>> buyer of the resource is not part of the ARIN process.
>>>
>>> (This is a (bad?) joke reference to a currently
>>> ongoing discussion on the ARIN PPML list).
>>
>> Hah. So, this should work, provided both entities are on the STSL then.
>
> "Sure..."  ;-)
>
> That means you'd want about $2K worth of gear because of the existing /24
> minimum, in addition to vending machine able to explain why it needs the
> address space.
>
> Have fun,
> /John
>
> p.s. A /16 might be about right for a pack of 100G SMF CFP modules...

This gives me an idea. The vending machine could also sell hosting.
Sometimes, the box just won't come back to life and you need somewhere
to stuff the data. *grin*

(Actually, based on a few of my DC visits, there are times where I'd
have gladly shelled out $2k for a small baggie of screws.)

--- Harrison
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Astrodog <astrodog@gmail.com> wrote:
> This gives me an idea. The vending machine could also sell hosting.
> Sometimes, the box just won't come back to life and you need somewhere
> to stuff the data. *grin*

How about a vending machine, where you insert a hard drive, swipe your card,
and it either gets vaulted to S3 or an EC2 intance is spawned on the
cloud, and the data on the drive becomes the instance's boot media and
gets streamed to the instance storage over a 10-gigabit connection
from the vending machine, until all the data's uploaded.

That solves the problem of end users getting their data to the hosting
provider quickly, with no need to stress out their low-speed WAN.

--
-JH
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
Nice idea of future! :)

Btw as side question - I heard transfer rates from S3 are capped badly.
Something like 5-10Mbps. Is that true? Anyone of you ever came across such
cap?

--

Anurag Bhatia
anuragbhatia.com

Twitter: @anurag_bhatia <https://twitter.com/#!/anurag_bhatia>
Linkedin: http://linkedin.anuragbhatia.com
Re: Colo Vending Machine [ In reply to ]
My rsync appeared to be running at 20+ Mbps to S3 last night...

Sent from my iPhone