Mailing List Archive

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  View All
Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
In a message written on Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 08:50:11PM -1000, Paul Graydon wrote:
> At the same time, it's shocking how many network people I come across
> with no real grasp of even what OSI means by each layer, even if it's
> only in theory. Just having a grasp of that makes all the world of
> difference when it comes to troubleshooting. Start at layer 1 and work
> upwards (unless you're able to make appropriate intuitive leaps.) Is it
> physically connected? Are the link lights flashing? Can traffic route to
> it, etc. etc.

I wouldn't call it a "misconception", but I want to echo Paul's
comment. I would venture over 90% of the engineers I work with
have no idea how to troubleshoot properly. Thinking back to my own
education, I don't recall anyone in highschool or college attempting
to teach troubleshooting skills. Most classes teach you how to
build things, not deal with them when they are broken.

The basic skills are probably obvious to someone who might design
course material if they sat down and thought about how to teach
troubleshooting. However, there is one area that may not be obvious.
There's also a group management problem. Many times troubleshooting
is done with multiple folks on the phone (say, customer, ISP and
vendor). Not only do you have to know how to troubleshoot, but how
to get everyone on the same page so every possible cause isn't
tested 3 times.

I think all college level courses should include a "break/fix"
exercise/module after learning how to build something, and much of that
should be done in a group enviornment.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
This list is awesome. Is anyone consolidating it? I'm still catching up
on the thread....

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer

RE: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
Actually I taught in a three year tech program for a while and although
trouble shooting was not in the curriculum, and as far as I know it
isn't anywhere, several of us adjunct faculty did teach it and got
reprimanded for it as part of our classes. So much for the education
industry understanding the needs of business. I taught basic PC
hardware and NT networking at the time. We would actually have the
students assemble a PC and then in a subsequent class bring up a
network. I got pretty good at nailing then with bugs while they were on
breaks. Heck, they had to go out to smoke. They would come back with a
network or PC that was no longer working. I would then have them
explain what they saw, what they thought was wrong, justify it BEFORE
they could take any corrective action. I also used some classroom
scenarios - they could ask me anything that they could physically learn
if they could tell me how they would check that. I let them run bad
rabbit trails if it looked like it would cement the right way. It
taught some step by step processes.

BTW, the best trouble shooting course I have ever taken was the Kepner
Trego Problem Analysis/Decision Analysis class. Caterpillar used it but
I have not seen it run anywhere in years. It is hard-nosed and may not
be glitzy enough for today. If you have a junior tech who isn't getting
there, I suggest - get their book and see if it helps. NO, I do not
sell them or have stock in the company and NO, it will not do any good
unless he reads it. I still use methodologies I learned in the class.

Ralph Brandt
Communications Engineer
HP Enterprise Services
Telephone +1 717.506.0802
FAX +1 717.506.4358
Email Ralph.Brandt@pateam.com
5095 Ritter Rd
Mechanicsburg PA 17055

Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
Let me simplify that. If you are over 35 you know how to troubleshoot.

Yes, I'm going to get flamed. Yes, there are exceptions in both directions.

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer

RE: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
+1

Mario Eirea

RE: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
Hammer, you are at least 75% right. You will get flamed and in most
cases, the 35 year age is close to right.

But then in Programming where I spent most of my IT time since Feb 1963,
few current programmers have skills that they need to be really
successful. Same thing.

It is the fault of the educational system like one school district here
that teaches Alice, VB and then two days of C++ to High School Kids.
Heck, they will fiddle with Alice on their own. They need some exposure
to one of the SQL's and how to build some tables, maybe a good script
language, some command line on SQL+ and unix or PostgresSQL and linux if
the school can't afford the unix licenses.

The fun and games is more important than the substance and it goes into
the colleges in spades.

BTW, I am a school board member who votes 1:8 often on things.... But
let me give you a perspective, one of the board members called Golf an
"Essential Life Skill." Maybe, but how about balancing a checkbook...

RE: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
Well, I will argue this. I think the important factor in any troubleshooting is having a real understanding of how the system works. That is, how different things interact with each others to achieve a specific goal. The biggest problem I see is that many people understand understand the individual parts but when it comes to understanding the system as a whole they fall miserably short.

A short example, probably not the best but the one that comes to mind right now:

Someone replaces a device on the network with a new one. They give it the same IP address as the old device. They don't understand why the router cant communicate with it at first and then starts working. The people "understand" ARP, but cant correlate one event with another.

I guess if your 35 you have seen this at least once and can fix it. But what happens if you have never seen this problem or a related one? At this point your going to have to really troubleshoot, not just go on experience.

Mario Eirea

Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
On 2/17/2012 1:05 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2012, at 07:50, Paul Graydon wrote:
>
>> what OSI means
>
> Yet another common misconception popping up:
>
> -- You can talk about the OSI model in the present tense
>
> (That said -- yes, it is still useful as a set of simple terms for certain combinations of functions.
> It is also still useful as a way to calibrate your gut feeling of what is going on in a network.
> Just never expect OSI terms to have a precise meaning in today's networks.
> 1978 is now a third of a century ago...
> If you need precision, you need to spell out what you mean in today's terms.)

Actually, I find it makes a perfect troubleshooting guideline in today's
world; at least up to layer 4. I'm not saying it's a perfect match to
troubleshooting a variety of MPLS problems, but it is a reminder that
there are dependencies which must be checked.

In dealing with transport companies, the model is still a good
representation of their service levels. It isn't uncommon to find their
products defined as layer 2 services (ranging from tdm/sonet services to
ethernet switching services), layer 3 services (often handled by their
ISP department), and MPLS services (which can range from p2p transport
to l3vpn).

Which brings up my final point. Until we quit naming things l2vpn or
l3vpn, OSI still applies. :P

Jack
Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
I agree with this 100%.

Having worked with many people over the last 40 years, the good trouble shooters understood how things
were suppose to work. This helps immeasurably in determining where to start looking.

Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Director of Technology
Phone: 813-579-3200
Fax: 813-882-0209
Email: steve.clark@netwolves.com
http://www.netwolves.com
Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]
>From: Owen DeLong owen@delong.com

>Sigh... NAT is a horrible hack that served us all too well in address conservation. Beyond that, it is merely a source of pain.

I understand why you say that - NAT did yeoman's work in address conservation.  However, it also enabled (yes, really) lots of topologies and approaches which are *not* designed upon the end-to-end model.  Some of these approaches have found their way into business proceses.

An argument you and others have made many times boils down to "but if we never had NAT, think how much better it would be!"

To this, the response "so what?" is not unreasonable - organizations which have built up processes and products around the non-end-to-end model may or may not see a benefit in changing their ways.  Asserting that there is something wrong with existing, succesful business practices is not, by itself, compelling.

While you and I may find this type of packet header manipulation distasteful, there's lots of organizations for which it's normal operations.  The more NAT for v6 gets fought, the more folks will fight to preserve it.  Time could be better spent demonstrating why NAT isn't needed in X or Y use case, and providing configuration snippets / assistance for non-NAT-based solutions to those various groups.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com
Re: Common operational misconceptions [ In reply to ]