Mailing List Archive

Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC...
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in meeting minutes. I want to tank everyone who
attended. As you'll see, the attendance list only includes those who
are/were members of the Maemo Community Council. But, I really
appreciate the others who graced us with their presence.

This meeting ended up being almost two-hours long (one hour longer than
intended and an hour after I had to leave). This being said, I don't
know if I adequately included all of the important points from the
meeting below. If you're interested, it would be best to read the
meeting transcript[1] yourself.

In Attendance...

Outgoing Council:
* Andrew Flegg (Jaffa)
* Tim Samoff (timsamoff)
* Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC

Incoming Council:
* Alan Bruce (qole)
* RM Bauer (SD69)
* Felipe Crochik (fcrochik)
* Attila Chipa (achipa) - beginning at 1650 UTC

Agenda/Notes:
1. Introductions

* Call for new Council to choose a Chair (this will be accomplished this
week via the council@ email address).

2. What was done during last term

* The legal ownership of maemo.org was handed over to the community,
with Nemein (Henri Bergius as main point of contact) managing it on our
behalf. There are now only three members of the maemo.org team, all
part-time. X-Fade (Niels Breet) webmaster; Andre Klapper (andre)
bugmaster; Reggie Suplido (Reggie) talkmaster. Nemein have further
budget which equates to one full time person.

* The Council was involved in the sponsorship of people for the MeeGo
Conference from a "handset" background.

* The Council sponsored the Maemo 5 Community SSU; providing support &
advice to MohammadAG; dealing with the thread on bugs.maemo.org and
helping triage the bugs (j.mp/communityssu-bugs).

* Passed on a refresh license change request queue request from
DocScrutinizer & jonwil to Quim.

* Asked Tero (tekojo) about maemo.org funding, given the concern voiced
from the community after Feb 11th.

* Held a brainstorm redux meeting with the maemo.org team to work out
how the Maemo Brainstorm items were progressing.

* More work on community bug reporting process, liaising with Qt
maintainers around Qt versions in Extras-devel, and liaising with Forum
Nokia folks who are doing Qt hotfixes.

* Ramped up efforts to keep Council visible via Council blog on m.o.

3. What was not done during last term

* Getting a handle on the maemo.org staff & Nemein. Despite committing
to come up with a community involvement process (to help lighten their
workload), it's often a black hole. Problems need to be chased sometimes
to support@nemein.com email address to raise a ticket in their internal
system.

* Andre is still doing lots of work in Bugzilla triaging bugs both for
the CSSU and Extras projects.

* Niels is still helping to set up the Community OBS which can be used
for MeeGo, Fremantle and Harmattan; but there's no clearly communicated
plan for transitioning to it from the autobuilder, but the committed-to
donations system for maemo.org/downloads hasn't been worked on at all;
nor is there any documentation about the structure (AFAICT) of maemo.org.

* Council/Community should have a root access process concerning admin
and maintenance of maemo.org, but the details are still up in the air.

* Council isn't involved in MeeGo Conf sponsorship decisions for SF in May.

* Justify the Council (the new Council needs to figure out of they are
the last Council or not; how the Q2 Council may differ from preceding ones).

4. Past Council reflections/comments

* There's increasing pressure from the MeeGo community, and some
Intelians, that Nokia *don't* get an exception to call Harmattan MeeGo.
This might put a big spanner in the works for the Harmattan community.

* Development and marketing of the CSSU needs to ramp up and become much
more organized.

* Thoughts about the Maemo Community shrinking over the next year or
so... So, the Council will have to be quite vocal in organizing
community efforts (site maintenance, app dev, etc.).

5. New Council comments/questions

* Many questions about Council Chair, m.o root access, funded employees
of m.o, CSSU, etc. Most of these questions are, as yet, unanswered.

* Questions about "friendliness" and cooperation between Maemo and
MeeGo, of which the outgoing Council answered "yes."

* Talk of the Community OBS. X-Fade and lbt are the folks involved, and
there've been some comms about it on meego-* mailing lists.

* Comments about the Council taking on a bridging role between
forum.meego.com and talk.maemo.org.

* Has there been discussion about open source activities around next
Nokia device? Not yet. There are two schools of thought - it's a
dead-end, don't bother OR we can make it such a success that Nokia's
board reconsiders their medium-term plans...

* It will be tricky getting a centralized forum for the Harmattan
community. It was hard enough with t.m.o. and the mailing lists, and no
one has a clear vision about a "Harmattan Community." Should maemo.org
just assume to be the place for the Harmattan community forum? Meego.com
forums are a no-go, at least that was dawn/quim's stance a while back.
The question is why exactly do we need another forum? Just because of
the name? It might also become obvious once it's clear if harmattan will
be "marketed" as Maemo 6, meego or something completely new.

* Do we have any "hard figures" on how the community has changed since
the beginning of Mmeego?

* More questions about the maemo.org infrastructure and how it will
continue. Neiman will play an important role in this.

[1]
http://mg.pov.lt/maemo-meeting-irclog/%23maemo-meeting.2011-03-26.log.html
Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [ In reply to ]

Thanks VERY much for your time and effort on this, Tim. And again, very sorry I was unable to make it; I had worried that being on call this weekend would be an issue and unfortunately that turned out to be the case.

It's obvious the last council had a great mix of people and provided an immeasureable service to the community. Hopefully we can maintain much of the momentum.

Randy

Re: Maemo Meeting Minutes 26 March 2011, 1400 UTC... [ In reply to ]