Hello!

Please see this page for more info:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Council_election_Q1_2011

Please post your nominations on this mailing list.

Thank you,
Tim

--
http://samoff.com

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
I would like to nominate Timo Härkönen (timoph) for Maemo Community
Council.

Timo is a well-respected employee of Digia who has been a strong
contributor to Maemo and MeeGo, especially in the area of quality
assurance.  He was the first Maemo Greeter (volunteers who use their
forum signature to help others) and joined MeeGo Greeters as well.

Timo's good nature and calm demeanor have helped reassure many doubting
people as well as defused heated conversations.  I believe he is an ideal
candidate.  Hopefully he will be able to serve.

Randall (Randy) Arnold
Forum Nokia Champion
blog: http://tabulacrypticum.wordpress.com
cell: +18177396806
irc: Texrat @ irc.freenode.net
twitter: http://twitter.com/texrat
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tabletman

Ovi Mail: Making email access easy
http://mail.ovi.com
Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I am nominating myself for Maemo Community Council. I have been a member of
the community for 5 years. Two people suggested me as a council member in
the last election cycle, but I did not run then and I thought I should not
let the opportunity pass by again.

My community involvement to date has been personal, not professional, mostly
on the forum and on the Diablo Community Project as SD69. I did not get
involved in technical and programming issues, just supported the project and
communicated with others who were able through their skills to get to a
successful result to show the value of a CSSU.

The main reason for volunteering is I think that the community will soon
face some significant challenges and my particular skills could be of use.
I am an electrical engineer, IPR lawyer and consultant with some expertise
in telecommunications and standards related issues. My first open source
project was two years ago for an in-vehicle real-time mapping and telematics
application. I also worked with Nokia and Navicore on IPR and software
licensing issues (mostly in North America ), but not any more. Like most
here, I personally see the value of having mobile devices and maemo software
that is open for users and others to enjoy and improve, and wish to help in
that effort.

RMBauer

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 21:04, Tim Samoff <tim@samoff.com> wrote:

> Please see this page for more info:
>
> http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Council_election_Q1_2011

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, we've got five candidates:

* RM Bauer (SD69)
-- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004701.html

* Alan Bruce (qole)
-- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004712.html

* Felipe Crochik (felipec)
-- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004715.html

* Attila Csipa (achipa)
-- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004723.html

* Randall Arnold (Texrat) - awaiting clarification
-- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004717.html

Once Randall clarifies his position we either have three slots to be
filled from four candidates; or five slots to be filled from five
candidates:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Election_process

What are people's thoughts on the matter? Do we want to run an
election where everybody is going to get on the Council anyway (to
give the new council a sense of a mandate?) or do we start the
transition process straightaway?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

PS. Could someone update the wiki page, please?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Council_election_Q1_2011
PPS. Similar message posted at TMO :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=968222#post968222

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/
Maemo Community Council member
RE: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Running the election could be important to show that the council has the
support of the community (and that there is still a community "in numbers")
but I am afraid that running an election where all candidates are all
elected regardless of the results may backfire - there will be little
motivation to vote.

My suggestion would be, in case all the candidates get elected, to not run
the election but soon after the transition run some poll to measure the
community and its wishes/worries and also validate the new council. I think
it is important to be able to show Nokia, developers and users in general
how large the community is.

Felipe

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:51, Andrew Flegg <andrew@bleb.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 21:04, Tim Samoff <tim@samoff.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please see this page for more info:
>>
>> http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Council_election_Q1_2011
>
> I believe, if I'm not mistaken, we've got five candidates:
>
>  * RM Bauer (SD69)
>    -- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004701.html
>
>  * Alan Bruce (qole)
>    -- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004712.html
>
>  * Felipe Crochik (felipec)
>    -- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004715.html
>
>  * Attila Csipa (achipa)
>    -- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004723.html
>
>  * Randall Arnold (Texrat) - awaiting clarification
>    -- http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/maemo-community/2011-March/004717.html
>
> Once Randall clarifies his position we either have three slots to be
> filled from four candidates; or five slots to be filled from five
> candidates:
>
>    http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Election_process
>
> What are people's thoughts on the matter? Do we want to run an
> election where everybody is going to get on the Council anyway (to
> give the new council a sense of a mandate?) or do we start the
> transition process straightaway?

All the candidates have a clear track of visible contributions to Maemo.
I don't think we need an election here.

> Thanks in advance,

Thanks to all of you.
Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:51, Andrew Flegg <andrew@bleb.org> wrote:
>> What are people's thoughts on the matter? Do we want to run an
>> election where everybody is going to get on the Council anyway (to
>> give the new council a sense of a mandate?) or do we start the
>> transition process straightaway?
>
> All the candidates have a clear track of visible contributions to Maemo.
> I don't think we need an election here.

Given the low level of support the elections have garnered, and the
quite unclear role & mandate the council would have over the next 6 - 12
months, I think serious thought should be given to replacing the
election by a referendum on the dissolution of the community council.

If the community council is not dissolved, then the 5 nominated
candidates become the council, as the by-laws state.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
Email: dneary@maemo.org
Jabber: bolsh@jabber.org

RE: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 15 March 2011 14:09:07 Felipe Crochik wrote:
> Running the election could be important to show that the council has the
> support of the community (and that there is still a community "in numbers")
> but I am afraid that running an election where all candidates are all
> elected regardless of the results may backfire - there will be little
> motivation to vote.

Seems likely.

> My suggestion would be, in case all the candidates get elected, to not run
> the election but soon after the transition run some poll to measure the
> community and its wishes/worries and also validate the new council. I think
> it is important to be able to show Nokia, developers and users in general
> how large the community is.

Like Aniello, I am very happy to endorse the five candidates and I don't think
an election is needed.

I like the poll idea. I think it would be good to better understand what the
community wants to achieve given how much has changed over the last year or
so. For example, what should be the focus on supporting mainstream N900 users
running Maemo 5 (things like keeping the Extras/downloads structure available,
supporting/driving/controlling the CSSU, etc.) or older device users or N900
users running MeeGo or Harmatten or even efforts to port Maemo or Harmatten to
other devices!

Graham
Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Am 15.03.2011 15:31, schrieb Dave Neary:
> Hi,
Hello!

> Aniello Del Sorbo wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:51, Andrew Flegg <andrew@bleb.org> wrote:
>>> What are people's thoughts on the matter? Do we want to run an
>>> election where everybody is going to get on the Council anyway (to
>>> give the new council a sense of a mandate?) or do we start the
>>> transition process straightaway?
>>
>> All the candidates have a clear track of visible contributions to Maemo.
>> I don't think we need an election here.
>
> Given the low level of support the elections have garnered, and the
> quite unclear role & mandate the council would have over the next 6 - 12
> months, I think serious thought should be given to replacing the
> election by a referendum on the dissolution of the community council.

As long as the Maemo infrastructure is still heavily depending on
Nokia's support I think we still need the council to give the community
a voice within Nokia?
Once Nokia completely pulls out of Maemo the council probably can be
dissolved but not earlier - maybe I miss the purpose of the council but
my impression was that its main function is to represent the community
towards Nokia? So as long as there is still the linkage between Maemo
and Nokia the council should stay in effect.
If there is shortage on council members I might even volunteer to
prevent its collapse ;)

> If the community council is not dissolved, then the 5 nominated
> candidates become the council, as the by-laws state.

+1

> Cheers,
> Dave.
Cheers
nils

--
kernel concepts GbR Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48
Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 14:38, Nils Faerber
<nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
> Am 15.03.2011 15:31, schrieb Dave Neary:
>>
>> Given the low level of support the elections have garnered, and the
>> quite unclear role & mandate the council would have over the next 6 - 12
>> months, I think serious thought should be given to replacing the
>> election by a referendum on the dissolution of the community council.
>
> As long as the Maemo infrastructure is still heavily depending on
> Nokia's support I think we still need the council to give the community
> a voice within Nokia?
> Once Nokia completely pulls out of Maemo the council probably can be
> dissolved [...]

Except if/when Nokia *do* pull the plug (and assuming that there is an
active community at that point), who decides what happens then? Who
pays for the hosting? Who organises the money for the hosting? Who
"owns" maemo.org?

I see many downsides (including the ones you mention) to the
dissolution of the Council, but no upside. Having one is free; so
where's the problem?

Cheers,

Andrew

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Am 15.03.2011 15:52, schrieb Andrew Flegg:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 14:38, Nils Faerber
> <nils.faerber@kernelconcepts.de> wrote:
>> Am 15.03.2011 15:31, schrieb Dave Neary:
>>>
>>> Given the low level of support the elections have garnered, and the
>>> quite unclear role & mandate the council would have over the next 6 - 12
>>> months, I think serious thought should be given to replacing the
>>> election by a referendum on the dissolution of the community council.
>>
>> As long as the Maemo infrastructure is still heavily depending on
>> Nokia's support I think we still need the council to give the community
>> a voice within Nokia?
>> Once Nokia completely pulls out of Maemo the council probably can be
>> dissolved [...]
>
> Except if/when Nokia *do* pull the plug (and assuming that there is an
> active community at that point), who decides what happens then? Who
> pays for the hosting? Who organises the money for the hosting? Who
> "owns" maemo.org?
>
> I see many downsides (including the ones you mention) to the
> dissolution of the Council, but no upside. Having one is free; so
> where's the problem?

Oh oh, sorry, maybe I was too unclear.
For me having the council as long as possible is perfectly fine!
And having spokespersons is in many cases a good idea. I just had Dave's
proposal of almost imminent dissolvement in mind and just wanted to
point out that if it should be dissolved at all then earliest after
Nokia has pulled out, not before. But even after I do not see any need
to do so - just as you pointed out, there can always be good use for it.

> Cheers,
> Andrew
Cheers
nils

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

We need a Council right now. I think it should be their job to figure
out what happens next. (The current Council shouldn't (imho), because
our term is up.)

I don't think an election is necessary (I, too, like all of the candidates).

Thanks, nominees!

Tim

--
http://samoff.com

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 15 March 2011 16:39, Tim Samoff <tim@samoff.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We need a Council right now. I think it should be their job to figure
> out what happens next. (The current Council shouldn't (imho), because
> our term is up.)
>
> I don't think an election is necessary (I, too, like all of the candidates).

I'd like to second all 5 candidates too! Welcome :)

--
Andrea Grandi - Nokia Qt Ambassador
Maemo Community Council member
Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
My congratulations to the new Council!

:-)

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Great,

We (the Maemo Community) have Continuity!
I like and support all 5 candidates.

*WilliePre*
Owner : 770, N800 & *N900* & *WeTab 3G 32GB*
Maemo & Meego enthusiast.

Re: Maemo Community Council Q1 2011 nominations are now open... [ In reply to ]
Hi,

This conversation is now a little more public:

http://maemo.org/community/council/the_maemo_community_council_candidates-and_possibly_the_newly_elected-are_in/

Thanks,
Tim

--