I'd like the ability for each search to choose it's own Analyzer, such
that some queries could use a regex pattern, other queries could use the
Standard Analyzer.

Does anyone know how expensive it is to create an Analyzer? Am I better
off creating analyzers as needed, or should I store them once and re-use
them?

Thanks very much!

-Dave

Re: Is creating an analyzer expensive? [ In reply to ]
You can safely reuse a single analyzer across threads. The Analyzer
class maintains ThreadLocal storage for TokenStreams internally so you
can just create the analyzer once and use it throughout your
application.

simon

Re: Is creating an analyzer expensive? [ In reply to ]
Hi Simon,

I'm trying to reuse a custom analyzer and it's not working unless I manually
call reset() on the TokenStream. Basically the analyzer will work on the
first string, but complete fail on any string after that. The weird part is
that this is only necessary when using the SynonymFilter.

I wrote a short piece of code that shows what's going on. Let me know if you
want me to post the code. But it's more likely that I don't understand what
I'm doing - I am new to Lucene.

Thank you,

-ricardo

RE: Is creating an analyzer expensive? [ In reply to ]
You have to use the TokenStream retrieved by Analyzer in the specified
order, otherwise it will not work correctly and will behave as described by
you:

reset()
while (incrementToken())
end()
close()

You have to call reset() also when using for first time! That's specified in
the specs. If you do this, it will work as expected.
See:
https://builds.apache.org/job/Lucene-Artifacts-4.x/javadoc/core/org/apache/l
ucene/analysis/TokenStream.html
-----