Hello!

Has anyone has an idea what makes interchange slow down over time? When
I restart the server the page responses are very good, but after a while
these will be much slower. We are using RPC mode. And after restart
everythng is OK again.

Best regards,
Margus Pau
http://www.kriso.ee

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
Quoting Margus Pau (margus@kriso.ee):
> Hello!
>
> Has anyone has an idea what makes interchange slow down over time?
> When I restart the server the page responses are very good, but
> after a while these will be much slower. We are using RPC mode. And
> after restart everythng is OK again.

How much memory is on the machine? And when you do the "free" command,
what do you get?

Here it is on one of our Interchange servers:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4138260 3866636 271624 0 153168 1415504
-/+ buffers/cache: 2297964 1840296
Swap: 5156856 72 5156784

You can see that there is plenty of memory, and that swap is not used
at all to speak of.

If you only have a small amount of memory, and swap is being used,
that would be the most common explanation.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting http://www.perusion.com/

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
how I react to it. And so it is for you... we are in charge
of our attitudes. -- Charles Swindoll

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
On 5/31/2011 11:21 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> **SNIP**
> How much memory is on the machine? And when you do the "free" command,
> what do you get?
>
> Here it is on one of our Interchange servers:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 4138260 3866636 271624 0 153168 1415504
> -/+ buffers/cache: 2297964 1840296
> Swap: 5156856 72 5156784
>
> You can see that there is plenty of memory, and that swap is not used
> at all to speak of.
> **SNIP**

Hi Mike,

Seeing this response to Margus' question prompted me to check my own
Interchange sever's "free" output, with the following result:

total used free shared buffers cached

Mem: 3356092 3005220 350872 0 96 2481292

-/+ buffers/cache: 523832 2832260

Swap: 8388600 18832 8369768

... which leads me to wonder about the buffers. For optimal Interchange
performance, should I be seeing more use of the buffers in conjunction
with a lower use of swaps? (I should probably note that this server is
also running a number of PHP/MySQL sites in addition to serving several
Interchange catalogs).

Thanks for your time and input,
Tom

--
_______________________________
Global Focus Digital Media, LLC

!DSPAM:4de53c87165001467320482!

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for the reply. Actually there is plenty of memory

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 24677748 16096552 8581196 0 140748 9174228
-/+ buffers/cache: 6781576 17896172
Swap: 20578296 203172 20375124

And increase in response time is about 3-4 seconds and then it stays
this way. Just after the restart the reponse time is below 1 second and
after some 15-20 minutes starts increasing. It seems that the same issue
does not occur when setting traffic mode to "high". But with "high"
mode we had the problem that occasionally interchange failed to send
some emails and encrypt credit card details.

Kind regards,
Margus

31.05.2011 21:21, Mike Heins kirjutas:

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
Quoting Thomas J.M. Burton (tom@globalfocusdm.com):
> On 5/31/2011 11:21 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
> >**SNIP**
> >How much memory is on the machine? And when you do the "free" command,
> >what do you get?
> >
> >Here it is on one of our Interchange servers:
> >
> > total used free shared buffers cached
> >Mem: 4138260 3866636 271624 0 153168 1415504
> >-/+ buffers/cache: 2297964 1840296
> >Swap: 5156856 72 5156784
> >
> >You can see that there is plenty of memory, and that swap is not used
> >at all to speak of.
> >**SNIP**
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> Seeing this response to Margus' question prompted me to check my own
> Interchange sever's "free" output, with the following result:
>
> total used free shared buffers cached
>
> Mem: 3356092 3005220 350872 0 96 2481292
>
> -/+ buffers/cache: 523832 2832260
>
> Swap: 8388600 18832 8369768
>

> ... which leads me to wonder about the buffers. For optimal
> Interchange performance, should I be seeing more use of the buffers
> in conjunction with a lower use of swaps? (I should probably note
> that this server is also running a number of PHP/MySQL sites in
> addition to serving several Interchange catalogs).

Buffers really depend on what is going on with your devices. If you have
a system with low traffic, there isn't that much to buffer so use will
be small. In other words, don't worry about it -- Linux will worry about
it for you.

Your "free" looks pretty good to me, I think you have plenty of memory.

--
Mike Heins
Perusion -- Expert Interchange Consulting http://www.perusion.com/
phone +1.765.328.4479 <mike@perusion.com>

Life is a long lesson in humility. -- James Barrie

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 31 May 2011, Margus Pau wrote:

> And increase in response time is about 3-4 seconds and then it stays
> this way. Just after the restart the reponse time is below 1 second and
> after some 15-20 minutes starts increasing. It seems that the same issue
> does not occur when setting traffic mode to "high". But with "high" mode
> we had the problem that occasionally interchange failed to send some
> emails and encrypt credit card details.

What version of Interchange are you using? It sounds like you may have an
older version that has problems with PreFork mode.

As for problems with email and credit card encryption (generally, any
subprocess), see this commit:

http://git.icdevgroup.org/?p=interchange.git;a=commitdiff;h=e1c6f77db1974777645d4120924ad01c6279b605

Using PERL_SIGNALS=unsafe and setting MaxServers 0 will fix that.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
On 5/31/2011 12:49 PM, Mike Heins wrote:
> Quoting Thomas J.M. Burton (tom@globalfocusdm.com):
>> On 5/31/2011 11:21 AM, Mike Heins wrote:
>>> **SNIP**
>>> How much memory is on the machine? And when you do the "free" command,
>>> what do you get?
>>>
>>> Here it is on one of our Interchange servers:
>>>
>>> total used free shared buffers cached
>>> Mem: 4138260 3866636 271624 0 153168 1415504
>>> -/+ buffers/cache: 2297964 1840296
>>> Swap: 5156856 72 5156784
>>>
>>> You can see that there is plenty of memory, and that swap is not used
>>> at all to speak of.
>>> **SNIP**
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Seeing this response to Margus' question prompted me to check my own
>> Interchange sever's "free" output, with the following result:
>>
>> total used free shared buffers cached
>>
>> Mem: 3356092 3005220 350872 0 96 2481292
>>
>> -/+ buffers/cache: 523832 2832260
>>
>> Swap: 8388600 18832 8369768
>>

>> ... which leads me to wonder about the buffers. For optimal
>> Interchange performance, should I be seeing more use of the buffers
>> in conjunction with a lower use of swaps? (I should probably note
>> that this server is also running a number of PHP/MySQL sites in
>> addition to serving several Interchange catalogs).
> Buffers really depend on what is going on with your devices. If you have
> a system with low traffic, there isn't that much to buffer so use will
> be small. In other words, don't worry about it -- Linux will worry about
> it for you.
>
> Your "free" looks pretty good to me, I think you have plenty of memory.

Thanks, Mike! That's good to know. :)

Best,
Tom

--
_______________________________
Global Focus Digital Media, LLC
www.globalfocusdm.com

!DSPAM:4de54e38165007840413409!

Re: Interchange slows down over time [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jon,

We're useing 5.7.5 I've set maxservers to 0, and will check if there
will be any problems with emails in "high" mode.

Regards,
Margus

31.05.2011 23:12, Jon Jensen kirjutas: