Mailing List Archive

Testing GPG EMail encryption
Hello all,
well, as of today, I finally decided to start signing my EMail messages using GPG to prove the integrety of my messages. As I am primarily using Mac OS, I downloaded MacGPG (http://gpgtools.org), installed it and set it all up. As I'm completely blind, I first had some issues with MacGPG, as it uses a special window (called, I think, the PINEntry window) to ask for the passphrase. Unfortunately, this window isn't accessible using VoiceOver, the screenreader built into Mac OS. However, I was now able to come up with a workaround and now it seems as if I can sign and encrypt messages without much trouble. I've informed the MacGPG developers about the accessibility issues in their software, and they seem very committed to solving it in an upcoming version. If anyone is interested, the related ticket can be found at http://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/66001-macgpg2/tickets/94-pinentry-window-not-recognized-by-voiceover

Now, I'd really like to test out EMail encryption so that I can verify this works properly, but for that, of course, I need one other party also using GPG. So, I was wondering, would it be possible for any of the GPG users on here to contact me offlist so that we could try this out once? If anyone on here would be willing to do that, I'd greatly appreciate that!
Thanks for any help :-)
Best regards,
Robin.
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
Hey Robin,

I'll send you a testmail in a minute. I'm the guy from the GPGTools support discussion we had today.

Talk to you off-list.

If any of the GnuPG wizards like to chime in on the technical side on the bug tracker we're happy about any input.

Cheers,
steve

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On 5/22/12 2:06 PM, Robin Kipp wrote:
> Now, I'd really like to test out EMail encryption so that I can verify
> this works properly, but for that, of course, I need one other party
> also using GPG.

(Responded to on-list so that people can know your request has been
answered, otherwise you'll get drowned in dozens of responses)

Feel free to send an encrypted/signed email my way. The certificate is
available from the keyservers:

gpg --keyserver keyservers.org --recv-key 0xD6B98E10

I look forward to helping get you set up and straightened out! :)

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
Hello all,
thanks a lot for that! Actually, I'm quite flattered by the amount of encrypted messages that came in over the last few minutes from all of you who wanted to help, I honestly wouldn't have expected so much feedback! I'll definitely reply to all of you who took the time and effort to reply to me with an encrypted message so that I could try and decrypt it in order to make it readable. Actually, I succeeded in decrypting all of them, but the exercise also showed that my workaround is far from being flawless. Nevertheless, it's been a lot of fun reading all the messages that ended up in my inbox, and I'll definitely reply during the next few hours!!! This is a great community, and I'm really glad that I'm now part of it - keep up the great work everyone!!! :-)
Best wishes,
Robin.
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
Am Di 22.05.2012, 23:37:46 schrieb Robin Kipp:
> Hello all,
> thanks a lot for that! Actually, I'm quite flattered by the amount of
> encrypted messages that came in over the last few minutes from all of you
> who wanted to help

I am happy for him but obviously this approach doesn't scale well. :-)

I don't know how much the demand is (or could be) but perhaps it would help
make more people use OpenPGP to have a round-robin email contact system.
Whoever is willing to help new users (like in this case) registers his email
address with the languages he's capable of communicating in. A new user could
send a mail to

de@newusers.gnupg.org
en@newusers.gnupg.org

and the mail would be forwarded to one or two people. OpenPGP-Addons for email
software (like Enigmail) could hint the user at this service.

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
> I don't know how much the demand is (or could be) but perhaps it would help
> make more people use OpenPGP to have a round-robin email contact system.
> Whoever is willing to help new users (like in this case) registers his email
> address with the languages he's capable of communicating in. A new user could
> send a mail to
>
> de@newusers.gnupg.org
> en@newusers.gnupg.org
>
> and the mail would be forwarded to one or two people. OpenPGP-Addons for email
> software (like Enigmail) could hint the user at this service.

Hi all,

I absolutely agree. At GPGTools we thought about an automatic testing system. Checking if the mail was encrypted and / or signed and then sending out the according reply.

As with so many things and I assume Werner and the Enigmail people know the problem, we never managed to get it done. I'm not sure if one system to rule them all is ideal. Since if a user of GPGTools sendss an unencrypted but signed mail we'd direct him at the according knowledge base article. If we'd use one mail address for GPTools / Enigmail / terminal users, it might be hard to provide the correct information to help users. So it might not be automatable thus create more work.

Currently we encourage the user to send a test mail and do all this manually.

All the best,
steve
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 22 May 2012 21:28, stevebell@gulli.com said:

> If any of the GnuPG wizards like to chime in on the technical side on the bug tracker we're happy about any input.

AFAIK a Mac specific PINentry is used and not the GTK+ or QT version.
Thus I can't help.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
As a curiosity, any ideas on what you would do to avoid use of this system for spam purposes? (although encrypted spam won't be of much use :)

Steve <steve@gpgtools.org> wrote:

>> I don't know how much the demand is (or could be) but perhaps it
>would help
>> make more people use OpenPGP to have a round-robin email contact
>system.
>> Whoever is willing to help new users (like in this case) registers
>his email
>> address with the languages he's capable of communicating in. A new
>user could
>> send a mail to
>>
>> de@newusers.gnupg.org
>> en@newusers.gnupg.org
>>
>> and the mail would be forwarded to one or two people. OpenPGP-Addons
>for email
>> software (like Enigmail) could hint the user at this service.
>
>Hi all,
>
>I absolutely agree. At GPGTools we thought about an automatic testing
>system. Checking if the mail was encrypted and / or signed and then
>sending out the according reply.
>
>As with so many things and I assume Werner and the Enigmail people know
>the problem, we never managed to get it done. I'm not sure if one
>system to rule them all is ideal. Since if a user of GPGTools sendss an
>unencrypted but signed mail we'd direct him at the according knowledge
>base article. If we'd use one mail address for GPTools / Enigmail /
>terminal users, it might be hard to provide the correct information to
>help users. So it might not be automatable thus create more work.
>
>Currently we encourage the user to send a test mail and do all this
>manually.
>
>All the best,
>steve_______________________________________________
>Gnupg-users mailing list
>Gnupg-users@gnupg.org

Branko Majic
Jabber: branko@majic.rs
Please use only Free formats when sending attachments to me.

Бранко Мајић
Џабер: branko@majic.rs
Молим вас да додатке шаљете искључиво у слободним форматима.

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]

Hi,

On 22.05.2012 21:06, Robin Kipp wrote:
> Hello all, well, as of today, I finally decided to start signing my
> EMail messages using GPG to prove the integrety of my messages. As
> I am primarily using Mac OS, I downloaded MacGPG
> (http://gpgtools.org), installed it and set it all up. As I'm
> completely blind, I first had some issues with MacGPG, as it uses a
> special window (called, I think, the PINEntry window) to ask for
> the passphrase. Unfortunately, this window isn't accessible using
> VoiceOver, the screenreader built into Mac OS. However, I was now
> able to come up with a workaround and now it seems as if I can sign
> and encrypt messages without much trouble. I've informed the
> MacGPG developers about the accessibility issues in their software,
> and they seem very committed to solving it in an upcoming version.
> If anyone is interested, the related ticket can be found at
> http://gpgtools.lighthouseapp.com/projects/66001-macgpg2/tickets/94-pinentry-window-not-recognized-by-voiceover
>
> Now, I'd really like to test out EMail encryption so that I can
> verify this works properly, but for that, of course, I need one
> other party also using GPG. So, I was wondering, would it be
> possible for any of the GPG users on here to contact me offlist so
> that we could try this out once? If anyone on here would be willing
> to do that, I'd greatly appreciate that! Thanks for any help :-)
> Best regards, Robin.

I cannot verify your signature, because you use PGP/MIME and this
mailing list uses mailing list software which somehow messes up with
headers and makes PGP/MIME signatures unverifiable.

You can test email encryption by emailing Adele.
pub 1024D/92AB3FF7 2002-03-06
uid Adele (The friendly OpenPGP email robot)
<adele-en@gnupp.de>
uid Adele (Der freundliche E-Mail-Roboter)
<adele@gnupp.de>
sub 1024g/62BDBFD4 2002-03-06

- --
[Mika Suomalainen](https://mkaysi.github.com/) ||
[gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys
4DB53CFE82A46728](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/key.txt) ||
[Why do I sign my
emails?](http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html) ||
[Please don't send
HTML.](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/HTML.html) ||
[Please don't
toppost](http://mkaysi.github.com/articles/complaining/topposting.html) ||

[This signature](https://gist.github.com/2643070) ||

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On 23/05/12 11:19, Branko Majic wrote:
> As a curiosity, any ideas on what you would do to avoid use of this system
> for spam purposes? (although encrypted spam won't be of much use :)

A simple challenge-response system should suffice, I'd say. When a new user
mails to such an address, he receives a reply with a code that should again be
mailed back to indicate the user is a human and can respond to the challenge.

Bots could be adapted to defeat a lot of variations of this, but when it's a
special-purpose design, I don't think it would be worth their time. Otherwise,
use a captcha. I've never seen captcha's used in e-mail traffic, but it's easily
done.

Peter.

My key is available at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~lebbing/pubkey.txt

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]
I think we had the PGP/MIME vs inline discussion already.

@Robert: Would that qualify for a second entry in your FAQ with the pro/cons listed? I really would love to see some distilled output. The discussions on this list are very valuable and having the pro / con arguments in some sort of wiki / faq (maybe editable by the users) would imo bring benefit to users, trying to understand backgrounds.

@David let us know once you get the basic setup done. Would GitHub maybe be sufficient as a wiki? I am sure there are other nice solutions around, too.

Cheers,
steve

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On 5/23/12 2:50 AM, Steve wrote:
> I absolutely agree. At GPGTools we thought about an automatic testing
> system. Checking if the mail was encrypted and / or signed and then
> sending out the according reply.

You may want to move this discussion over to the Enigmail list. We have
a system set up that does much of this already, called Adele. We'd be
happy to share.

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:30, mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com said:

> I cannot verify your signature, because you use PGP/MIME and this
> mailing list uses mailing list software which somehow messes up with
> headers and makes PGP/MIME signatures unverifiable.

It is this old Mailman/Python illness. I really wonder what the state
of the fixes is. For years I ran a patched Mailman version but this
patch never made it into Mailman proper. Along with the hard to use
standard archiver (pipermail), this is a major drawback of Mailman.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 May 2012 15:24, rjh@sixdemonbag.org said:

> You may want to move this discussion over to the Enigmail list. We have
> a system set up that does much of this already, called Adele. We'd be

Is that a different one than the Adele from Gnu_PP_, which is a closed
source web service?

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]
On 23.05.2012 12:56, Steve wrote:
> I think we had the PGP/MIME vs inline discussion already.

I am using PGP/MIME in this email. Can you verify my signature on this
email? You can find link to my public key in my signature.

Now I stop answering to these PGP/MIME vs INLINE. I think that I have
said enough in http://mkaysi.github.com/PGP/WhyDoISignEmails.html .

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On 5/23/12 11:38 AM, Mika Suomalainen wrote:
> Why to move it to Enigmail list?

According to American legend, a journalist once asked the infamous bank
robber John Dillinger why he robbed banks for a living. "Because that's
where the money is," he said.

Why should a discussion about Adele move over to the Enigmail list?
Because Enigmail runs Adele, has the source code for it, and the people
who are responsible for it are all over there. I'm not sure that all
the involved people are on this list. A discussion about Adele that
involves all the Adele people should probably go over to Enigmail,
because that's where Adele and the Adele maintainers are.
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On 5/23/12 11:29 AM, Werner Koch wrote:
> Is that a different one than the Adele from Gnu_PP_, which is a closed
> source web service?

I don't know. We have the source and permission to use it -- my
impression is that it's Free Software, but it's been years since I've
taken a look at our Adele code and read the copyright notice. John
Clizbe would probably have a better handle on its licensing situation
than I do.

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:35, mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com said:
> On 23.05.2012 12:56, Steve wrote:
>> I think we had the PGP/MIME vs inline discussion already.
>
> I am using PGP/MIME in this email. Can you verify my signature on this
> email? You can find link to my public key in my signature.

Sure:

[.[.PGP Signed Part:Good signature from 4DB53CFE82A46728 Mika
Suomalainen (trust undefined) created at 2012-05-23T17:35:40+0200
using RSA]]

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 May 2012 12:30:54 +0300
Mika Suomalainen <mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello Mika,

> I cannot verify your signature, because you use PGP/MIME and this
> mailing list uses mailing list software which somehow messes up with
> headers and makes PGP/MIME signatures unverifiable.

Robin's sig verifies okay here. As do most(1) of the sigs I come across
in any mailing list. Most of the lists I subscribe to are run on
mailman. BTW.

Or have I missed your meaning?

(1) Occasionally one doesn't verify, but that's always been because of an
error introduced elsewhere, not by mailman.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption [ In reply to ]

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]

Re: Testing GPG EMail encryption AKA PGP/MIME [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:59, mika.henrik.mainio@hotmail.com said:

> PS. I am on this list so you don't need to CC me unless your email
> client forces it.

Set your MFT header correctly, if you want to avoid a CC.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner