Mailing List Archive

There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt!
Hi!

Some folks are trying to build Libgcrypt for Windows 64 bit. Let me
state it clearly:

W64 IS NOT YET SUPPORTED

You may run in all kinds of problems, the worst of it being the lack of
a serious entropy gathering module. The rndw32.c module some may use is
not appropriate for w64! Annoying CERTs with that is not a good idea,
either.

Simply throwing a compiler on some software on a new platform may result
in a runable binary - but there is no guarantee that it will work as
expected.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner

Re: There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some folks are trying to build Libgcrypt for Windows 64 bit.  Let me
> state it clearly:
>
>                        W64 IS NOT YET SUPPORTED
>
> You may run in all kinds of problems, the worst of it being the lack of
> a serious entropy gathering module.  The rndw32.c module some may use is
> not appropriate for w64!  Annoying CERTs with that is not a good idea,
> either.
>
> Simply throwing a compiler on some software on a new platform may result
> in a runable binary - but there is no guarantee that it will work as
> expected.

and is there some w64 work in progress currently ?

Vincent Torri

Re: There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:04, vincent.torri@gmail.com said:

> and is there some w64 work in progress currently ?

No. There is no real advantage of having a 64 bit version of GnuPG as
long as Windows runs 32 bit just fine. The only thing we have on our
list is to port GpgEX (the file explorer extension) to 64 bit, because
the 32 bit version does not work with the 64 bit file explorer.

If a 64 bit version of Libgcrypt is required we need to get financial
support first.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Werner Koch <wk@gnupg.org> wrote:
> On Wed,  4 Apr 2012 18:04, vincent.torri@gmail.com said:
>
>> and is there some w64 work in progress  currently ?
>
> No.  There is no real advantage of having a 64 bit version of GnuPG as
> long as Windows runs 32 bit just fine.

ok. so compiling gpg-error and libgcrypt in 32bits runs correctly on Win64

thanks

Vincent Torri

Re: There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt! [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Le 2012-04-04 10:51, Werner Koch a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> Some folks are trying to build Libgcrypt for Windows 64 bit.

We are distributing (experimental) VLC binaries using libgcrypt:
http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.1/win64/

> Let me
> state it clearly:
>
> W64 IS NOT YET SUPPORTED
>
> You may run in all kinds of problems,

For example lack of assembly code (win64 has different calling
conventions from other x86_64 operating systems).

> the worst of it being the lack of
> a serious entropy gathering module. The rndw32.c module some may use is
> not appropriate for w64!

Can you clarify what is wrong with libgcrypt/random/rndw32.c ?

Advapi32.dll is still present on Win64, are you aware of other changes
which make the code written for Win32 not suitable for Win64?

Re: There is *no* W64 support yet for Libgcrypt! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 06:43, funman@videolan.org said:

> We are distributing (experimental) VLC binaries using libgcrypt:
> http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/2.0.1/win64/

Don't do this! In case this is used to create permanent keys or even
used to sign using DLP type keys (DSA); I suggest that you send out a
note that those keys should be revoked.

> Can you clarify what is wrong with libgcrypt/random/rndw32.c ?

The entropy gathering stuff is black magic and we need to see whether
the collected data on W64 is up to our expectations. I have seen
reports that the collected entropy is very bad.

As a quick fix you may write your own rndw64 solely based on Windows
Crypto RNG functions; See init_system_rng et al. If you want to do
more, checkout how it has been done in cryptlib.

Shalom-Salam,

Werner