Mailing List Archive

Gentoo Weekly Newsletter 20 November 2006
Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061120-newsletter.xml
This is the Gentoo Weekly Newsletter for the week of 20 November 2006.

==============
1. Gentoo News
==============

Help test the new Bugzilla
--------------------------

The Gentoo infrastructure team have rolled out the new Bugzilla for two to
four weeks of testing. They hope to have the new Bugzilla up and running in
time for Christmas.

Important improvements include:

* Newer version of Bugzilla from upstream
* Much more database horse-power
* Automatic failover between database machines
* A much better backup system, which should increase availability at
night

You can help test by using the new Bugzilla when you're searching for
existing bugs. In lieu of pointing your browser to http://bugs.gentoo.org,
use http://bugstest.gentoo.org, instead.

Note: This server is not running with production data. Any bugs you file
will not be seen by any developers. Please file all bugs on the normal bug
tracker[1].

If you find any bugs, please report them in the production Bugzilla[1],
assigned to infra-bugs@gentoo.org, with 'bugstest' in the summary. Robin
Johnson fears there may be some UTF-8 issues, so help from non-ASCII
Gentoo-ers is particularly needed.

1. http://bugs.gentoo.org

Thanks to Mike Doty[2], Robin Johnson[3], Lance Albertson[4], Ned Ludd[5],
Jeff Forman[6], and Corey Shields[7] for all their hard work. Thanks to
GNi[8] for hardware and colocation services to make it all run.

2. kingtaco@gentoo.org
3. robbat2@gentoo.org
4. ramereth@gentoo.org
5. solar@gentoo.org
6. jforman@gentoo.org
7. cshields@osuosl.org
8. http://www.gni.com

For more information, please read Robin's original gentoo-dev list
announcement.[9]

9. http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_141090.xml

=========================
2. Heard in the community
=========================

gentoo-user
-----------

Accidentally deleted contents of /sbin

In a horrifying wildcard accident, James Colby deleted the entire contents
of his /sbin directory. Quickwittedly, he did basic damage control by
copying the contents of /sbin from a stage 3 tarball to his own denuded
/sbin. He asked if he needed to do an emerge world to restore his /sbin to
its former state.

Both Geistteufel and Bo Ørsted Andresen suggest ways to determine which
packages actually had files residing in /sbin and then re-emerging them.
Geistteufel suggested running equery b /sbin as root. This would yield a
list of each package with a file residing in /sbin. Each of these packages
would then be re-emerged. Bo Ørsted Andresen's solution automated the
process:

| Code Listing 2.1 |
| Bo Ørsted Andresen's Solution |
| # cd /var/db/pkg && emerge -va1 \ |
| > $(for pkg in */*; do cut -d' ' -f2 "${pkg}"/CONTENTS \ |
| > | grep -q '^/sbin/' && echo "=${pkg}" done) |

Responders agreed that re-emerging world would be excessive.

* http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_103857.xml

Using LINGUAS on a per package basis like with USE

Fernando Canizo has set both the English and Spanish LINGUAS flags in his
system (LINGUAS="en es"). However, he'd prefer to decide on a
package-by-package basis which language to use, similar to setting a flag in
his /etc/portage/package.use file.

Bo Ørsted Andresen pointed out that Fernando could use the IUSE flags
linguas_es and linguas_en like any other per-package flag in
/etc/portage/package.use. This is because the LINGUAS flags were
USE_EXPANDED to those IUSE flags anyway. He also provided a pointer to the
relevant section of the devmanual[10].

10. http://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html#use_expand-and-arch-use-flags

* http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_103893.xml

gentoo-cluster
--------------

SC06 -- check out SiCortex

Donnie Berkholz[11] invited all attendees at the recently-held
SuperComputing 06[12] conference to visit the booth of SiCortex. SiCortex is
developing two MIPS cluster products, one with 5,800 nodes and the other
with 650 nodes. The clusters will run Gentoo.

11. dberkholz@gentoo.org
12. http://sc06.supercomputing.org/

Brian D. Ropers-Huilman reported that he'd already stopped by their booth
and was impressed by an 8 TF cluster that consumed a mere 18KW. However, he
wasn't sure when they were entering production nor if they were really using
Gentoo.

Joel Martin[13], who works at SiCortex as well as volunteering for Gentoo as
a developer, provided more information on their offerings. Within a few
months, SiCortex will be offering a 5,832 processor (972 6-core nodes) with
8GB RAM-per-node at less than the US$2,000,000 price point. And it will
definitely run Gentoo.

13. kanaka@gentoo.org

For more information, Joe pointed readers to SiCortex's whitepaper
collection[14].

14. http://sicortex.com/prod_white.shtml

* http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-cluster/msg_00945.xml

=========================
3. Gentoo developer moves
=========================

Moves
-----

The following developers recently left the Gentoo project:

* none this week

Adds
----

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo project:

* Rémi Cardona (remi`) Gnome team

Changes
-------

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo project:

* none this week

==================
4. Gentoo security
==================

OpenSSH: Multiple Denial of Service vulnerabilities

Several Denial of Service vulnerabilities have been identified in OpenSSH.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[15]

15. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200611-06.xml

GraphicsMagick: PALM and DCM buffer overflows

GraphicsMagick improperly handles PALM and DCM images, potentially resulting
in the execution of arbitrary code.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[16]

16. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200611-07.xml

RPM: Buffer overflow
--------------------

RPM is vulnerable to a buffer overflow and possibly the execution of
arbitrary code when opening specially crafted packages.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[17]

17. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200611-08.xml

libpng: Denial of Service
-------------------------

A vulnerability in libpng may allow a remote attacker to crash applications
that handle untrusted images.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[18]

18. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200611-09.xml

WordPress: Multiple vulnerabilities
-----------------------------------

Flaws in WordPress allow a Denial of Service, the disclosure of user
metadata and the overwriting of restricted files.

For more information, please see the GLSA Announcement[19]

19. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200611-10.xml

============================
5. Upcoming package removals
============================

This is a list of packages that have been announced to be removed in the
future. The package removals come from many locations, including the
Treecleaners[20] and various developers.

20. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/treecleaners

Last-Rites:
-----------

Package: Removal date: Contact:
app-laptop/pmud 13 Dec 06 Joseph Jezak[21]
app-laptop/wmbatppc 13 Dec 06 Joseph Jezak[21]
dev-ada/adabroker 14 Dec 06 George Shapovalov[22]
sci-mathematics/gturing 15 Dec 06 Markus Dittrich[23]
net-proxy/dansguardian-dgav 17 Dec 06 Alin Nastac[24]
net-dialup/gigaset-isdn 18 Jan 07 Alin Nastac[24]
dev-ada/adaopengl 14 Dec 06 George Shapovalov[22]
dev-ada/adabindx 14 Dec 06 George Shapovalov[22]

21. josejx@gentoo.org
22. george@gentoo.org
23. markusle@gentoo.org
24. mrness@gentoo.org

===========
6. Bugzilla
===========

Summary
-------

* Statistics
* Closed bug ranking
* New bug rankings

Statistics
----------

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[1]) to record and track
bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the development
team. Between 12 November 2006 and 19 November 2006, activity on the site
has resulted in:

1. http://bugs.gentoo.org

* 776 new bugs during this period
* 409 bugs closed or resolved during this period
* 21 previously closed bugs were reopened this period
* 148 closed as NEEDINFO/WONTFIX/CANTFIX/INVALID/UPSTREAM during this
period
* 176 bugs marked as duplicates during this period

Of the 10911 currently open bugs: 27 are labeled 'blocker', 102 are labeled
'critical', and 479 are labeled 'major'.

Closed bug rankings
-------------------

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period
are:

* Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop Team[25], with 24 closed bugs[26]
* Gentoo Games[27], with 22 closed bugs[28]
* Gentoo KDE team[29], with 17 closed bugs[30]
* Portage team[31], with 13 closed bugs[32]
* PPC Porters[33], with 12 closed bugs[34]
* Desktop Misc. Team[35], with 10 closed bugs[36]
* AMD64 Project[37], with 10 closed bugs[38]
* Gentoo Sound Team[39], with 9 closed bugs[40]

25. gnome@gentoo.org
26. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=gnome@gentoo.org
27. games@gentoo.org
28. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=games@gentoo.org
29. kde@gentoo.org
30. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org
31. dev-portage@gentoo.org
32. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=dev-portage@gentoo.org
33. ppc@gentoo.org
34. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=ppc@gentoo.org
35. desktop-misc@gentoo.org
36. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=desktop-misc@gentoo.org
37. amd64@gentoo.org
38. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=amd64@gentoo.org
39. sound@gentoo.org
40. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=CLOSED&chfield=bug_status&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&resolution=FIXED&assigned_to=sound@gentoo.org

New bug rankings
----------------

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most new bugs during
this period are:

* Default Assignee for New Packages[41], with 31 new bugs[42]
* Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages[43], with 11 new bugs[44]
* Gentoo's Team for Core System packages[45], with 9 new bugs[46]
* AMD64 Project[37], with 7 new bugs[47]
* Gentoo Sound Team[39], with 6 new bugs[48]
* Java team[49], with 6 new bugs[50]
* Gentoo Games[27], with 6 new bugs[51]
* Gentoo KDE team[29], with 5 new bugs[52]

27. games@gentoo.org
29. kde@gentoo.org
37. amd64@gentoo.org
39. sound@gentoo.org
41. maintainer-wanted@gentoo.org
42. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=maintainer-wanted@gentoo.org
43. maintainer-needed@gentoo.org
44. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=maintainer-needed@gentoo.org
45. base-system@gentoo.org
46. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=base-system@gentoo.org
47. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=amd64@gentoo.org
48. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=sound@gentoo.org
49. java@gentoo.org
50. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=java@gentoo.org
51. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=games@gentoo.org
52. http://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&chfield=assigned_to&chfieldfrom=2006-11-12&chfieldto=2006-11-19&assigned_to=kde@gentoo.org

===============
7. GWN feedback
===============

The GWN is staffed by volunteers and members of the community who submit
ideas and articles. If you are interested in writing for the GWN, have
feedback on an article that we have posted, or just have an idea or article
that you would like to submit to the GWN, please send us your feedback[53]
and help make the GWN better.

53. gwn-feedback@gentoo.org

under.

==================
9. Other languages
==================

The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter is also available in the following languages:

* Chinese (Simplified)[54]
* Danish[55]
* Dutch[56]
* English[57]