Mailing List Archive

VG224 H323 or MGCP
I have some VG224 gateways to install in our main site, we have Call
Manager 5.1.1, all of our voice gateways are H323 except for an MGCP /
Qsig gateway we have connected to our old PBX.

What does everyone recommend H323 or MGCP for VG224

********************SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT**************************************************

The information contained in this e-mail is strictly confidential, some or all of which may be legally privileged.
Access to this e-mail by any person other than the recipient is prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, any use, disclosure, copying, printing, distribution of, replying to or any action taken or omitted to be
taken in reliance on this e-mail, is prohibited. Please advise the sender immediately should this e-mail have been
incorrectly addressed or transmitted, and then delete the email and any attachment sent with it from your computer.

You are advised that urgent, time sensitive and confidential communications should not be sent by e-mail. You
accept that any instructions are deemed to have been given at the time the recipient(s) accesses them and that
delivery receipt does not constitute acknowledgement or receipt by the intended recipient(s).

You acknowledge that e-mails are not secure and you accept the risk of malfunction, viruses, unauthorised
interference, mis-delivery or delay. Charles Stanley reserves the right to monitor and/or record emails sent and
received via its network for any lawful business purpose in accordance with applicable law and regulations.

Charles Stanley & Co. Ltd
Registered Office: 25 Luke Street London EC2A 4AR

Tel: 0207 739 8200 Fax: 0207 739 7798
Registered in England No. 1903304

Charles Stanley Sutherlands and Charles Stanley Securities are divisions of Charles Stanley & Co. Ltd

Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Services Authority, Member of the London Stock Exchange, The
International Capital Market Association and The London International Financial Futures & Options Exchange.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by McAfee VirusScan and SurfControl Email
Filter software.
Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I'd say use H.323. It's supported so why not?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps2250/products_data_sheet09186a00801d87f6.html

--- Nick Kassel <Nick.Kassel@charles-stanley.co.uk>

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I see you can also use SCCP, would this be more beneficial.

wrote:

> I have some VG224 gateways to install in our main
> site, we have Call
> Manager 5.1.1, all of our voice gateways are H323
> except for an MGCP /
> Qsig gateway we have connected to our old PBX.
>

> What does everyone recommend H323 or MGCP for VG224

____________
Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who
knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Unless your environment/customer has a specific
requirement for you to use one protocol over the
other, use with what you're comfortable I'd recommend.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I'm going with SCCP. Search for "sccp supplementary" on CCO and you'll see a boatload of new features.

I for one like PLAR support during SRST.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I have tried both, and for modem and other non-voice communications I
definitely recommend H323.

-C

***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
any reason why? for us newbies in the vg224 world?

Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
(519) 824-4120 x56354 (519) 767-1060 FAX (JNHN)
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." WJR

***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
We have some ADEMCO fire alarm panels that use DTMF tones to communicate and
use DTMF tones with bursts of 50msecs, so that eliminated VG248's since
their fastest DTMF sample size is either 100 or 150ms, so VG224's were
purchased. Most of our gateways that were MGCP capable were configured that
way, but the MGCP config for the ports that these fire alarm panels were
connected to weren't working, so I tried H323 and it worked. Since I have
setup these ports I have tried modems on similarly configured ports and have
gotten better, more reliable performance from the H323-configured ports than
the MGCP-configured ports. I don't have any technical explanation of this,
just my own experience.

-C

_____

any reason why? for us newbies in the vg224 world?

----

http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list
<http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/?link=list&sid=396545433> &sid=396545433

***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Interesting, thanks. So then no bad experience with SCCP, just none so far?

***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
No experience with SCCP on a VG224 yet.

_____

***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
We have been using SCCP for our VG224 project so far. They are all for
analog phone ports in dorm rooms and a small amount of fax machines. Have
had no problems (jinx) yet with them in SCCP mode, but we aren't doing
anything complicated with them either. We chose SCCP for easy of use with
call manager and features. I'm pretty happy with the platform so far, I just
wish they made a 48 port IOS based model now that the VG248's are getting
priced/phased out.

--
Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Our VG224's will be used mainly for faxes and possibly a few modems, but
I'm thinking that the extra features with SCCP could e useful if we need
to use any analog phones in the future, I don't really want to have to
change if circumstances change at all.

________________________________

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Can someone send me a link to the doc for vg224 SCCP support? The only docs
I can find on "univercd" are about 5 years old. Maybe I am looking in the
wrong place.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
this is what i used.

along with a little searching on CCO and the forums.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_feature_guide09186a0080483a76.html

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Interesting...

I just had a problem with the ADEMCO panels..

And the one we worked with had 7 or 8 protocols..

I wish I could remember the one that we used that worked...

But some worked ok, some did not and one was great on an ATA!!!

Jim

****
***************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I thought SCCP uses Device licenses..
That makes it more costly...

Jim

*******************************

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
I think it's been covered on the list....VG224 and VG248 do not require
additional licences. It's very confusing. Especially on that document I sent
out earlier regarding supplementary services which says licences are
required.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Ok, so I decided to go with SCCP, I have configured the gateway and
added it to Call Manager 5.1, now when I turn on the stcapp command I
get the following errors constantly coming up.

02/07/2007 13:17 172.30.0.3 172.30.0.3 Error
1514: Jul 02 12:17:18.660 UTC : %CCM_CALLMANAGER-CALLMANAGER-3-TspError:
Error in TSP. Port IsoEthPort:0 Port DSL:0 Name of
Device:AN1AE221E77D401 App ID:Cisco CallManager Cluster
ID:CSCCMPUB-Cluster Node ID:CSCCMSUB02

Does anyone know what this means?

The ios is vg224-i6k9s-mz.124-11.T2.bin

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
Ok, so I decided to go with SCCP, I have configured the gateway and
added it to Call Manager 5.1, now when I turn on the stcapp command I
get tsp errors constantly coming up on the Call Manager.

Does anyone know what this means?

The ios is vg224-i6k9s-mz.124-11.T2.bin

I have tried sending this to the list about 4 times now but it doesn't
make the list so I have saved the error message and attached it to a
error.txt file to see if that works.

Re: VG224 H323 or MGCP [ In reply to ]
The document states

Error Message

%CCM_CALLMANAGER-CALLMANAGER-3-TspError: Error in TSP. Port IsoEthPort
[UInt], Port DSL [UInt]

Explanation Database configuration error was encountered.

Recommended Action Investigate configuration for identified device.

Anyone got any further ideas about this?