Mailing List Archive

sccp ip precedence
I have a question regarding the command: sccp ip precedence value

The documentation states "value = IP precedence value. Range is from 1
(highest) to 7 (lowest)." The following example sets IP precedence to the
highest possible value:

Router# sccp ip precedence 1

This is obviously a typo, no?

The default value makes it appear as though it would refer to media streams.

This docs suggests it is the actual signaling.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_command_refe
rence_chapter09186a008045733b.html#wp1245396

This doc suggests voice streams.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_access/vg_200/config
/dsp.htm#xtocid273628

I have always assumed it was the voice stream because of the default value
of 5.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,

jake
Re: sccp ip precedence [ In reply to ]
Yes, that’s obviously a typo, if this is your first
day with Cisco docs then you might want to get used to
it. If maybe you can give an idea of what you’re
trying to accomplish then maybe we can try and give
you some guidance. By default at least in the Cisco
world you can expect voice control to be tagged as
IPPrec of 3 (AF31 or CS3) and media (rtp) as IP Prec 5
(EF). Unless you have a reason to mess with these
values then why bother? Again without knowing what
you’re trying to accomplish then it makes it difficult
to give you any sort of advice. BTW, IP Prec is old
school, the rest of the world uses DSCP?

Re: sccp ip precedence [ In reply to ]
Thanks. I just wanted to be 100% positive that it is changing the voice
stream and not signaling. I guess I could have just captured the packets but
I wasn't in place that it was possible.

As you know, MGCP and H323 you can choose signaling or media.

So being registered to a CM 3.3, the CM service parameter would override
this anyway? Not that you would want to.

Re: sccp ip precedence [ In reply to ]
Since SCCP is a signaling protocol I would guess that
this is certainly for signaling and not media.

Re: sccp ip precedence [ In reply to ]
With a default value of 5? So what you saying is that this command should
always be changed from the default?

I do not have a dspfarm in my lab so the router will not initiate any sccp
traffic to callmanager. I cannot get a capture.

My goal is to find out if this default value should be changed so the
packets will map to cs3.

Re: sccp ip precedence [ In reply to ]
I can probably lab it this week sometime and get back
to you. You're right though the default being 5 does
not make a lot of sense.