Mailing List Archive

How to modify the apache instance name in linux
Hi,

Any one knows how to modify the installation path in apache http in lunix.

i.e. to change the installation path from /var/http/abc to /var/http/domain1web

Diligenta Limited (Company No. 5535029) is a subsidiary of Tata Consultancy Services Limited. Diligenta Limited is registered in England and Wales, has its registered office at Lynch Wood, Peterborough, PE2 6FY and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the intended recipient and access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. Although this message and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus (or other defect) that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted by Diligenta Limited or Tata Consultancy Services Limited for any loss or damage in any way arising from its use. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Diligenta Limited. Replies to this e-mail may be monitored for operational or business reasons.
Re: How to modify the apache instance name in linux [ In reply to ]
Hello Muduli,

I'm assuming you're talking about Apache 2.4, but it shouldn't really
matter I'd think.

If I understand your question correctly, the default installation directory
for Apache is /usr/local/apache2. Is that what you want to change? If
so, you can change that using configure and passing the --prefix= option
to it, like so:
./configure --prefix=/var/http/domain1.web

I'm thinking this might not be what you're talking about though, because
you use /var/http/abc as an example, not /usr/local/apache2.

Here's a list of the various configuration options. Maybe there's
something there that will help you:
https://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/programs/configure.html

Thanks!

RE: How to modify the apache instance name in linux [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the info.

Let me clear the scenario.

For installation of http 2.4:

1. Untar the gz file

2. Compile it with putting the installation dir name. ./configure –prefix=/http/testdomain …etc

3. Then make and make install

If I want to change the /http/testdomain directory should I compile and install it again ? or is there any short way to change the installation dir directly without any compilation ?

[cid:image001.gif@01D26806.07BBB400]

Re: How to modify the apache instance name in linux [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 11:17 AM, Muduli, Chittaranjan
<Chittaranjan.Muduli@diligenta.co.uk> wrote:

> If I want to change the /http/testdomain directory should I compile
> and install it again ? or is there any short way to change the
> installation dir directly without any compilation ?

Yes, a priori you should be able to:
1. stop old httpd instance,
2. move old httpd instance,
3. rename/replace each reference to "/http/testdomain" in httpd
configuration file(s), that is the main httpd.conf and all possibly
its Include'd files,
4. start new httpd instance.

You should probably backup the files changed in 3. before..

Regards,
Yann.