Mailing List Archive

Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing
Hi,

We have requirement for to load balance our PHP + JSP application. I need to
know that how can I load balance 2 Apache web Servers and 2 Tomcat Servers,
1st Web Server + Tomcat on 1st machine and 2nd Web Server + Tomcat on 2nd
machine. We want to use Proxy Load Balancer for Apache to tomcat
communication.

If we use single Apache Web Server and 2 tomcat instances on different
machines, it seems to be working and sharing session fine, but when we add
2nd apache web server to have fail over for PHP too, tomcat stops
replicating session? If anyone is running such type of setup then kindly do
let me know what could be the issues or anything missing. I am using Apache
WebServer as a load balancer for both Apache too.

Apache Webserver

_____ |______

| |

Apache Webserver Apache Webserver

| |

Tomcat Tomcat

What could be the recommended solution for this requirement?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Kashif Rahman

Principal SCM Engineer

Vopium A/S | Office# 2, 7th Floor, Shaheen Complex | 38 Abbot Road

Lahore | Pakistan | t + 92 42 6316491 | f + 92 42 6316492

kashif_r | w <http://www.vopium.com/> www.vopium.com
Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I would recommend HAProxy as a load balancer in your PHP + JSP application environment. It will work as follows:

1. First HAProxy will accept client request.
2. It will forward those requests to two machines via round robin
3. Each WebServer must use mod_jkas a connector (module) for Apache/Tomcat communication and session persistence.
4. HAproxy also perform health checking for two servers.

-Anam

________________________________
We have requirement for to load balance our PHP + JSP application. I need to know that how can I load balance 2 Apache web Servers and 2 Tomcat Servers, 1st Web Server + Tomcat on 1st machine and 2nd Web Server + Tomcat on 2nd machine. We want to use Proxy Load Balancer for Apache to tomcat communication.
If we use single Apache Web Server and 2 tomcat instances on different machines, it seems to be working and sharing session fine, but when we add 2nd apache web server to have fail over for PHP too, tomcat stops replicating session? If anyone is running such type of setup then kindly do let me know what could be the issues or anything missing. I am using Apache WebServer as a load balancer for both Apache too.

                                                                                                Apache Webserver

                                                                                                _____ |______
                                                                                                |                              |

+ 92 334 9771227 |  kashif_r | w  www.vopium.com
RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Thanks Anam, but we are looking at to use mod proxy for Apache/Tomcat
Communication and session persistence. Can it be done using our requirement?

Thank you,

Regards,

Kashif Rahman.

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
You can at least tell us what OS are these servers running on? Also you
said when you put second apache something is not working so we would like
to see your apache config if you dont mind. Another thing not clear to me
is tomcat session replication. Are the tomcats clustered? If not how do
they replicate the sessions between each other?
In meantime check mod_proxy_balancer documentation as possible solution.
You can find lots of examples with sticky sessions configuration fot this
module for tomcat backends.

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Also read about mod_proxy_ajp

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Here what I have used :

==================

ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>

AddDefaultCharset Off

Order deny,allow

Allow from all

</Proxy>

ProxyPass /balancer-manager !

ProxyPass /examples balancer://qawebcluster/examples

ProxyPassReverse /examples balancer://qawebcluster/examples

ProxyPass /kashif/admin ajp://x.x.x.x:18009/kashif/admin

ProxyPassReverse /kashif/admin ajp://x.x.x.x:18009/kashif/admin

#ProxyPass /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif
stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

#ProxyPassReverse /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif
stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

ProxyPass /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif

ProxyPassReverse /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif

ProxyPass /k balancer://qawebcluster/k
stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

ProxyPassReverse /k balancer://qawebcluster/k
stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

<Proxy balancer://qawebcluster>

BalancerMember ajp://127.0.0.1:8009 route=tomcat1 disablereuse=On

BalancerMember ajp://x.x.x.x:8009 route=tomcat2 disablereuse=On

ProxySet lbmethod=byrequests

</Proxy>

ProxyPreserveHost Off

ProxyStatus On

==================

We have this config on WEB1 as WEB2 both. 3 machines involved. 1 Apache
only for load balancing and 2 machines as WEB1 and WEB2 having Apache and
tomcat on each.

We are using mod_proxy_ajp

Tomcat is clustered. Session replication works, if single Apache is handling
2 tomcat instances. When we start second Apache, tomcat session replication
stops. We want to have failover for PHP side too.

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Hello,

It looks like very complex configuration in your application environment. You can achieve the same with HAProxy example as given before.

Why opt for complex configuration instead of easy available solution.

Thanks,
Anam

________________________________
        ProxyPass /examples balancer://qawebcluster/examples
        ProxyPassReverse /examples balancer://qawebcluster/examples
        ProxyPass /kashif/admin ajp://x.x.x.x:18009/kashif/admin
        ProxyPassReverse /kashif/admin ajp://x.x.x.x:18009/kashif/admin

        #ProxyPass /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid
        #ProxyPassReverse /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid
        ProxyPass /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif
        ProxyPassReverse /kashif balancer://qawebcluster/kashif
        ProxyPass /k balancer://qawebcluster/k stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid
        ProxyPassReverse /k balancer://qawebcluster/k stickysession=JSESSIONID|jsessionid

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Anam Ali Khan <anamalikhan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It looks like very complex configuration in your application environment.
> You can achieve the same with HAProxy example as given before.
>
> Why opt for complex configuration instead of easy available solution.
>
> Thanks,
> Anam

Your non-complex solution involves replacing the load balancing httpd
server with a load balancing HAProxy server.

I fail to see how that decreases complexity. You have to learn how to
configure two things, instead of one thing twice.

HAProxy also cannot serve static files, whilst a load balancing httpd can.

Cheers

Tom

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
So what solution you would recommend and what is best option for session sharing?

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Kashif Rahman

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
First check Apache supports session stickness in PHP application environment, if yes then you can go with your current configuration instead of HAproxy.

-Anam

________________________________

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Dear Kashif, as per your comments below:

We are using mod_proxy_ajp

Tomcat is clustered. Session replication works, if single Apache is handling 2 tomcat instances. When we start second Apache, tomcat session
replication stops. We want to have failover for PHP side too.

Why are you using mod_proxy_ajp module. You should use mod_proxy_balancer. For PHP load balancing and session stickiness it can easily be implemented using cookie based approach.

And one more interesting thing is that you should use less request counting method to handle Load Balancing efficiently.

Please follow the documentation carefully. You can achieve your goal instead of HAproxy solution.

Thanks,
Anam

________________________________

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Last but not the least mod_proxy_balancer supports AJP protocol :)

-Anam

________________________________

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I am using mod_proxy_balancer, because in that case I would be able to
handle load balancing or failover. I followed this URL:

http://www.johnandcailin.com/blog/john/scaling-drupal-step-two-sticky-load-b
alancing-apache-modproxy

for php. I have placed PHP sessions on mounted location and it is working
fine. Also both Apache(WEB1, WEB2) servers again using mod_proxy_balancer to
load balance tomcat instances. If we enable WEB2 then tomcat loses sessions.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Kashif Rahman

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Does the route parameters in the apache balancer tomcat1 and tomcat2 match
the jvmRoute value in the tomcat connectors?

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Yes I have that same in server.xml on both tomcats.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

Kashif Rahman

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
What is in apache log file, any proxy errors? I would do some extra logging
if i was you as given in the below link:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html#stickyness_troubleshooting

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Do not use session replication/sharing, use session stickiness instead.

-Anam

________________________________

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Why are you defining mod_proxy_balancer directives in WEB1 & WEB2. You only need to configure these in Apache Load Balancer machine.

Correct me if i am wrong.

-Anam

________________________________

RE: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Actually we are load balancing tomcat too.

kashif_r | w www.vopium.com <http://www.vopium.com/>

Re: Apache + Tomcat Load Balancing [ In reply to ]
Ok lets summarize, you have one apache load balancing the two backend
apaches which are load balancing the two backend tomcat servers. I
personally can't see any fault in this line up or your apache proxy
configuration and no reason really why would tomcat cluster session
replication stop working . Maybe has to do something with the first apache?
How is that one configured? Although the worker/tomcat name will always be
in the client cookie and doesn't really matter which one of the two apaches
will handle the request. Assuming they both have identical proxy balancer
configuration...have you checked that?

Also did you enabled the extra logging as per the link I sent? That should
help you in the troubleshooting, without knowing what exactly is in the
requests you can't do much can you? Also didn't answer if there are any
errors in the apache logs?